Friday, May 21, 2010

You just never know

There are times when posts come easy to me, and times when I have to really think about what to write. I try to strike a balance of honest but discreet - not everyone I know wants to be a subject entry in my blog. I totally understand that. Add to that certain..ahhh...expecations on the family side and often my entries are a little more edited than - say - a direct email from me to you on a particular subject would be.

And I also learned a valuable lesson about spouting off (well, spouting off too much) about someone in a blog entry before I get to know them. The people I run across that I have no intention of knowing? Fair game, baby. Need an example? Happy to oblige.

In the Monday afternoon Zumba class, there's a young girl. She's probably 10ish. The first time I saw her in that class, I was all, "awww...look. How sweet! She's coming with her Mom to Zumba!" Only, she really acts like a little snot. Within 15 minutes of getting to class and watching her look at other class members and then run over and whisper and giggle with her (I think) older sister, I decided that perhaps she wasn't cute at all. Not even a little bit. So I only feel a little guilty when I roll my eyes when she wears crocs to class or knee length rainbow socks. I bet they are toe socks too. If I didn't have the impression she was such a snot, I'd find her quirky and original, but I'd still question the intelligence of wearing crocs to a Misti-led Zumba class. That's just asking for a broken ankle. Well, okay, it would be asking for a broken ankle if I were wearing crocs. For Rainbow Bright, I'm sure it will all turn out okay. The popularity gods will see to it, I'm sure.

On the flip side of that equation, there's a lady in class that always seemed to be giving me the stink eye. I thought at first that maybe I was making a mountain out of a mole hill, but once Samantha agreed with me and Mom even conceded that I had a point, I had to wonder why. Did I remind her of someone she knows? Did I cut her off in traffic? Has she seen me in public with my kids and decided I'm insane? What? What could it be?!?! So a few weeks ago, I decided to speak to her. And I did. You know what happened? She spoke back. SHOCKING. And now we exchange pleasantries. It's lovely. Plus, she's English and I love her accent. Just goes to show me that you just never know.

No comments: