Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

I used to be part of a management team for a Tex Mex restaurant and no, it wasn't Taco Bell. That was the first I'd ever heard of Cinco de Mayo. (I led a pretty sheltered life.) Even once I was aware of it, all it meant was Mexican food for lunch and a reason to drink Corona (like we needed a reason back then).


R and I have been interviewing babysitters and last night, Jennifer came over and watched the kids for a couple hours. She even lived to tell about it. Impressive. R and I ended up going out to dinner, where I celebrated Cinco de Mayo early and had a margarita and some sort of southwestern grilled chicken salad. It was yummy. But now I'm trying to decide if I should make a Mexican dish tonight. I'm thinking yes. Ever since T's last bout with a stomach virus, anything remotely taco like prompts him to tell you, "I can't eat tacos anymore. They make me throw up." So, I've gotten creative with my presentation of all foods Mexican in nature. So far, as long as I don't serve it up in a taco shell, he'll eat it with no complaint. I'm thinking we should have chicken enchilada casserole, which is simply chicken enchilada dinner ingredients put in a casserole dish and baked. So simple. So quick. So tasty. I can also sneak in brown rice because between the beans, meat, enchilada sauce and cheese, who can tell that it's just plain brown rice? I also leave out the tortillas, so other than what I'm sure is the fantastically high sodium content in the enchilada sauce, it's actually a pretty healthy meal. I think I'll steam some peas to go with it. Not that peas are particularly Mexican, but the kids will eat them and I'll free up some freezer space.

Okay then. I can't believe I just did a blog entry about what I'm having for dinner. Slow story day here at the Dahl household, I guess.

Oh - and happy birthday, Caitlin!!

No comments: