Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bliss!

Oh, how I hate to be outside when it's hot - UNLESS - there's a pool involved. Or a sprinkler. Or a water hose. Or just water at all - unless we are talking about lake or river water. I haven't wanted to stick as much as a toe in that since I was about 10 and my step sister freaked me out by telling me that water moccasins were everywhere - lakes, rivers, streams, oceans, large puddles..you name it. Water you couldn't see through = water moccasin potential. She was two years younger but I totally believed her. I must still believe it to some extent, because I get a bit freaked if I can't see through the water. Of course now I'm also concerned about what people dump into the water sources - trash, industrial waste, who knows what's in there. Yuck!

Today we packed up and headed to the water park at Six Flags. Today was opening day and the weather was perfect. We got there shortly after it opened and it was already getting crowded. We changed into swim suits and the kids chomped at the bit because I insisted on hosing them down with SPF 50 and making them wait 15 minutes before they got in the water. Priorities! We are all as pale as pale can be. R burns really easily, I used to tan really easily but now I tend to burn since I shun the sun as much as possible, T tans super easy, and S burns super easy. Either way - we all got hosed down with sunscreen, some of us with two different types. There was a fog of SPF in our general vicinity. Seriously? You could have walked through our general area and been protected for at least half an hour afterward. And also? The spray mist sunscreen is more convenient, but if you get it in your mouth - good lord, that's nasty!


Finally, off we went...the water park had a concrete beach. Now that's what I'm talking about! (see photo above courtesy of The WashingtonPost.com) The kids had a blast playing in the waves and R and I loved that the majority of the pool was shallow enough that the kids could stand up with no problem. We eventually made it over the the kiddie lagoon, which was a combination wading pool and water playground. T was in water pirate heaven. S didn't like the bigger kids area since it involved getting occasionally doused with water with very little warning. Plus, water was dripping everywhere (well, duh! it was a playground in a pool after all) and it kept getting in her face and it made her cranky. I find this completely ironic since she's the most likely to splash. And I strongly feel that if you dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it. But we found an area for her as well at the side of the kiddie pool. It was a cool little pirate ship and you could climb all over and through it, and slide down off of it. We spent a good amount of time there and then headed to the lazy river where we floated our cares away. After that, we went down the family raft ride, which everyone but S loved. A quick break for more sunscreen, something to drink, a potty break, and we did it all again. S was so exhausted when we left around 4 that she fell asleep in the car in no time.


We ran by the commissary on the way home to pick up a few things, and then we unloaded the car. R grilled a yummy, yummy dinner, the kids got baths and went willingly to bed a little early. I'm happy to report that no one got seriously sunburned, even though R is a bit pink in some places. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully it will include more time at a pool so I don't have to worry about murky water and what lurks in it. Goodnight, everyone! What did you guys do today?

No comments: