Saturday, May 1, 2010

Saturdaze

After thinking all day long that Friday was Saturday since R didn't have to work, it felt strange to wake up today and have it actually be Saturday. R and I talked about spending more time together and being workout buddies this week, so this morning he got up early to swim some laps and then we were going to do some cardio and weight lifting as soon as the childcare room opened.


Have I mentioned how much I dislike mornings? Okay, that's not exactly true. I don't dislike mornings, I dislike getting out of bed. I think it's my body's attempt at humor to deliver my best sleep right as I don't get to sleep any longer. Either that, or I'm so much of a procrastinator that it even applies to my sleep patterns. Either way, our plan to be at the gym around 8 am didn't happen. And yes, it was all my fault. We were interviewing a babysitter at 2, so I wanted to get all our running around done while we were out. The only problem with that was that I hadn't gotten anything together - like a grocery list or the stuff I wanted to mail or even a list of places we needed to go. By the time all that was done, it was 9 - but that meant the post office would be open. I suggested that we hit the dry cleaners first, then the post office, then the credit union, then the gym, then the commissary and be home in plenty of time to meet and interview the sitter. It's as easy as that, right?

Almost. Everything went well until we got to the credit union. We needed to talk to a customer service rep to sign some papers, and there was only one working. We waited almost an hour before the kids showed (understandable) signs of mutiny and decided that if we wanted to go to the gym, and we did, that we couldn't wait any longer. Off to the Y we go. Since R had already done cardio, I did a quick mile on the elliptical and then we hit the weights. R and I used to go to the gym together before he re-joined the military and before we had kids. I even used to get up at 5 am (not always willingly) to work out. That's how I knew for sure I could never join the military myself. If I'm up at 5 am and working out? He who yells at me will have an unpleasant day, followed my some unpleasant time of my own, I'd bet. But - even though we used to go to the gym together, we didn't work out together. He did his thing and I did mine. Today was different. We actually did the weights together and I got to show him that the time with Romi (the personal trainer I worked with in Germany) was well spent. We had a lot of fun, and I got the best weight workout in that I've had since Germany, I think. By the time we finished, it was after 12, and we got the kids, grabbed some lunch and headed home to meet the potential babysitter.

And then, all of a sudden, it was time to get the kids ready for bed. Where did the day go? I think that a lot at the end of the day. I'm guessing it will happen more often the older the kids get. Just another thing I should have listened to my parents about...the older you get, the quicker the time goes. Sigh....

2 comments:

cathyjoy said...

doncha just hate it when your parents were right?? wait til you start sounding like your mother...it's all downhill from there :O)

Brooke said...

I hear ya. I've had quite a few of those moments already and they were horrifying. ;)