Sunday, May 30, 2010

Why is my child in the closet?

The last couple of days, T has been going into the pantry and shutting the door. This doesn't sound like anything to write about until you see a picture of our pantry and realize that the only place T could fit is between the floor and bottom shelf, which wouldn't provide enough room for him to even sit up. So why on earth would he want to hang out there?


I figured it out this morning when I opened the door and saw the scissors and the other evidence from the scene of the crime. We had some mini M&M's leftover from Easter, and T somehow got them down from the top shelf (probably with the assistance of the mop handle). I'm not sure how I feel about the kids being that kind of clever this soon....but I'm also a little impressed. So T shanghaied the mini M&M's, grabbed the scissors, and proceeded to have an M&M orgy while curled into a fetal position in the bottom of the pantry. heh. I mean, I'm going to have to rethink a few things for sure. What's the point of having a top shelf if the kids can get stuff off of it with minimal effort?
The humorous part of this morning, even though I missed it since I was in the shower, is that T got himself all set up with the candy and scissors, and apparently reached under the door to pull it shut. But because there is so little space between the shelves and the door, T couldn't get back out. Again, heh! I'm glad R was downstairs to be able to let him out, and I hope T will think twice about completely shutting the door next time. I doubt it though. Really, really doubt it. I mean, with the promise of unlimited food (provided he gets it off the shelf before closing the door), why would he? It's going to be an interesting summer, especially when S figures out what's going on and wants to get in there with him and there won't be room.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

haha, that's awesome and genius.

Brooke said...

Thanks :D

I am always amazed at what they can figure out on their own, especially since they can't find the ketchup in the fridge door and they were the ones that put it there.