Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Okay. It wasn't so bad after all.

I hate going to the doctor. Loathe it. Sit in the waiting room feeling like I'm going to be sick kind of hate it. I have never liked it, but after my experience with Dr. Frank Johnson, creepo extraordinare in Germany, I really, truly despise doctor's visits. Of course the main reason I have always disliked going is because my weight is always a focus. And by a focus, I mean the reason blamed for pretty much anything that would bring me into a doctor's office.

Major heel pain making it hard to walk, much less plod on a treadmill, elliptical, or aerobics class? It's cause you're fat Ms. Dahl.

Carpal tunnel issues seriously aggravated by using a hand breast pump for three to four months? Have you thought about losing weight, Ms. Dahl? That can sometimes help reduce inflammation.

Super heavy female bleeding pretty much non stop for the better part of a year? Yes, a year (that's how much I hate going to the doctor). If you lost weight Ms. Dahl, your period would probably get lighter. (Uh, probably?)

Swollen foot because I injured it when I was standing on an unstable chair (yeah yeah) while trying to clean an intake vent in the ceiling of our old house? Ms. Dahl, I really think that this could have been avoided if you were less heavy.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

So yesterday, I had my list of issues to talk about for my physical. Nothing serious. I want to keep an eye on my blood pressure, because it's higher than I think it should be with my lifestyle changes. I'm having some pain in my arm and my lower back and want to make sure what I'm doing in the gym isn't going to make it worse. I want a referral to dermatology for a thorough skin cancer screening because I have a couple moles that are changing and it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I'd like to see if there's anything that can be done about these doggone age spots and my thinning hair. And also... WHY OH WHY am I not losing any weight!

In the military, you have to arrive 15 minute prior to your medical appointment. This was my first time with this doctor, so I got there about 20 minutes early because I knew I would have to do paperwork too. I was surprised when they took me back within 5 minutes. I weighed in (BLAH), got my vitals taken and, answered a few questions (earned some mad respect when I said I was going to Zumba 4 to 6 times a week...sweet!) and was told to wait for the doctor.

Get this - I still didn't have to wait long. Crazy! (Dear Spang med clinic - please COME HERE and take notes. Stat!)

My new doctor walks in (golf clap please) and we start talking about my exercise and nutrition. I, being emotional and frustrated about this anyway, burst into tears. Yay me. Way to be a freakin' grownup. First thing Dr. writes down once he leaves the exam room is probably 'emotional' written in all caps and underlined twice. Remember that Seinfeld episode when Elaine sees her chart? Hahaha! I bet that's actually true.

Anyway, we discuss my eating and exercise habits in depth. He thinks I need to do more resistance training. Building muscle will amp up my metabolism better and more effectively than just cardio. He suggests I spend less time on cardio a day - 30-40 minutes a day should be fine as long as I push myself to the limit. I figure Misti's Zumba class on Mondays and Thursdays should meet that criteria with no problems. On other days, I'll throw in a short, intense cardio session. That gives me the time and freedom to concentrate on weights in the mornings at the Y. I'm excited about doing something different. I like weight training, so I'm excited to see the changes in my body as I start this new plan.

Now for nutrition. I need to try for about 1200 calories a day. That's doable, especially if I'm scaling down the cardio. I shouldn't be as hungry. My focus is complex carbs, lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies. Dr. suggested the Body for Life plan as a guideline - six small meals a day (that is SO hard for me though) consisting of a carb balanced with a protein and veggies for 2-4 of the meals. Also doable. But - I have the flexibility of choosing to use Fat Smash, Two Day, Body for Life, or any other sensible menu plan. So let's get this party started. I go back in six weeks to see how much progress I'm making and also to address the rest of the issues we didn't get to yesterday.

Holy cow. I just made it through a doctors visit without hearing the words "if you would just lose weight....' even once. He was happy with my progress. Slap my face and color me stunned.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

You must be doing something right! I hate doctors too, well not doctors but their profession and what it does to people, not the healing part but the rest of it.

Brooke said...

I know exactly what you mean, Sadie!