Saturday, May 22, 2010

Strawberry fields

One morning last week before the TV got hijacked by Nick Jr., the local news did a story on strawberries. This, of course, made me want to go and pick strawberries. The kids are old enough now that it should be fun, right? But when I looked up the address of the place featured on TV, it was a little farther than I thought. It seemed a little too far to go to pick strawberries since I wasn't sure if the kids would like it...so I put the idea in the back of my head. And then, on Friday on our way to Zumba, I saw a sign for a strawberry festival. How festive! So R and I decided we'd take the kids in the morning to go and pick strawberries.


We were out the door this morning by 7:40 and, after so much rain lately it looked to be a glorious day. We found the strawberry field with no trouble and headed out for the picking. T only wanted the (and I quote) 'big, juicy, red strawberries'. S wanted all the strawberries. It didn't matter if they were ripe or rotten, big or small, red or green. R found a frog which he picked up and showed to the kids. T wanted to hold it, but it scared him a little when the frog moved. S was happy to observe from a safer distance and continue picking strawberries. After we filled three bins, we paid and walked back to the car. What a great experience and a great morning. We got home, washed the berries, and then had some with lunch and dinner. SO yummy!

No comments: