Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sweetness

Yesterday, the T man didn't have school. Sunday night I was trying to figure out a good way for the kids and I to spend the day, and I didn't come up with anything huge. I ended up taking them to the Y childcare room so I could get a workout in. S has been almost daily, but since I go to the Y when T's in school, he hadn't had a chance to checkout the childcare room.

When we don't have somewhere to go, it can take us up to an hour to get out of the house. It's often as much my fault as the kids'. I get distracted when I'm headed out the door with silly things that shouldn't matter and that I can do anytime and more than likely should have done already. But that's the life these days...lots of theoretical time to do things, so I put them off and end up trying to to them all at once, usually when I'm trying to head out the door. No, I don't know why. It's an annoying quirk, but I haven't shaken it yet.

The kids bickered all the way out the door, to the car, getting into the car, on the ride to the Y, getting out of the car at the Y, walking into the Y, and while we were waiting to get T's id card. By the time we got to the childcare area, I was in desperate need of a workout. When we walked into the childcare room, T's eyes lit up. It was like me walking into Borders or Lowe's or Home Depot. S, having suddenly decided not to be offended by every word coming out of everyone's mouth, shows T around and they don't even look back at me. Cool.

After my workout, I went to get the kids. When I walked into the childcare room, T was sitting by the train table area playing with two younger boys. I just stood back for a minute and watched him. He was showing them how to put tracks together and explaining how trains worked. This was a such a change from the snarl fest that normally happens at our house when more than one child is trying to play with the trains or tracks. It the moments like these that get me through the really bad days with the kids - knowing that somewhere, somehow I'm getting through (probably on a subconscious level), and they are going to hopefully turn out okay. When T saw me, he waved happily and I walked over to tell him we needed to go.

"Moooooommm..I don't want to go. This is much more fun than our house." That's probably true, there's an entire area where he can run, bounce, and jump safely and no one is fussing at him for it (since that's what that area is for, natch). So 15 minutes later we have on shoes and coats and we head for the door. As we open the door to go out, T turns around and announces, "T is leaving!" No one really looks up from what they are doing so he shrugs and walks out the door. "So!" I say, "Did you have fun?" T looks up at me and says, "well, yeah, didn't you see me having fun?"

Oh T. I wish I could bottle you up and sell you sometimes.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

OMG, that boy is hysterical! ROFL here.