Thursday, March 25, 2010

Quick! Get me some cheese to go with all this whine

Whoa. Like, Blossom's brother Joey's Whoa!

I don't know what was up with the kids today, but they found a reason to fight, whine, or cry over everything. I'm surprised they didn't fight over who had the most carpet fibers under their butt when they were sitting on the carpet.

They still aren't feeling great and that could be part of it...it was cold and rainy today so they were stuck inside other than our brief foray to Sam's and Walmart. Poor Mom, I'm sure she's debating on the cost of rental cars right about now just to get some peace and quiet.

My favorite part of today? (Insert snort and eye roll here) S's birthday is soon, so we let her pick out a cake at Sam's today. We found a Dora themed one and she was really excited about it. So was T. They fought over who was going to hold the cake, sit near the cake, touch the plastic over the cake. They also fought over who was going to eat the cake, when the cake would be eaten, and why we were going to be eating cake. When I'd finally had enough of the bitch fest to snap at the kids to cut. it. out., T started crying about how thirsty he was. Because, you know, he's in danger of dehydrating from the couple of hours we were out of the house. He also knows that Sam's only has sodas. And there was no way I was going to hand him that much sugar or caffeine (or worse...both!) with the mood he's already in. Even Mom was looking a little frazzled. Totally understandable. As we left Sam's and went to Walmart (which was all of 1000 feet away max), T started crying about he 'was soooooo thirsty. Thirsty. Thirsty. So thirsty. Thirsty. THIRSTY!" From that, he started crying about how he wanted to go to McDonalds. I guess complaining about how thirsty he was made him hungry even though he had two ham and cheese sandwiches and about 2/3 of a sleeve or Ritz crackers for lunch less than two hours before that.

I come back with the comment, "There is no way that you'll get anywhere near a McDonalds with the attitude you're showing right now." And holy moly, the tears dry up and he says, "I'm not upset now, I'm happy. I'm happy."

Uh huh

To which Mom says, "Can we take the kids by Dairy Queen (which was beside McD's) and get them some ice cream?"

Yes..yes! Let's reward them for this horrible behavior. Woohooo!

Now, in all fairness, Mom didn't mean anything by the offer of ice cream, she was just trying to be nice and do something nice for the kids. More than likely, she was trying to distract them from their crabby behavior. So I agree to consider the ice cream thing if they can behave while we are in Walmart - which they did - so we end up getting them ice cream cones at McDonalds. That's my form of a frazzled compromise: Grammy gets to be the good guy, the kids get ice cream and to go to McDonalds, and I get about 8 minutes of peace while they devour them. Only, S was apparently so tired that she fell asleep ice cream cone in hand half eaten. Too bad my tongue wasn't long enough to reach into the backseat and finish it for her, because I totally would have. Totally.

No comments: