Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I gotta feeling....

Today was my turn to volunteer in T's classroom. I've been looking forward to it since last month when I volunteered. So much so that I actually woke up before the alarm clock went off at 6 am (I can't believe it either). When I got out of the shower, I heard S screaming/crying in her room. That's pretty unusual when she wakes up, so I hurried in there to see what was going on.

You know what was going on? Lots and lots of vomiting. Poor kid - she was covered in it. Coated would be an apt description and not a dramatic interpretation. She kept saying, "I'm scared, I'm scared" and when she threw up again I understood why. She fights it like I do, which makes it more painful and, uh, emphatic when it happens.

Once she got it all out of her system, we got her cleaned up and I left her to watch cartoons in our bedroom as I went to clean up her room. It wasn't as bad as I thought, and other than having to wash all the sheets and blankets and throw away her pillow, the cleanup was pretty painless.

So then comes the question -do I stay home or do I go? The babysitter was coming here, so I wasn't at risk of infecting anyone else's child, T seemed just fine, and neither R or I was sick. When our sitter said she was okay with staying with her even though she was sick, off T and I went to school since I had already called R and there was no way he could take off work on such short notice to stay with S or sub for me with T's class.

And gosh, I'm glad I went. Watching T's teachers really makes me appreciate our assignment here and how lucky we are to be in this school district and this preschool program. I love being able to watch T in an environment where he feels so confident and secure. I know that he still misses his teachers and friends from Germany, but he's getting such a solid, comprehensive start here. And I feel like I'm learning better ways to deal with him and to help him through this sensory maze. The older he gets, the more in awe of him I am and the more I love being a mom. Today, when we were getting ready to leave class, Mrs. B told all the kids to tell me thanks for coming, which just makes me smile hugely because these are some great kids, and T says, "That's my Mom! She's the best Mom in the whole world."

How on earth do you not cry from happiness on the spot? (If you know, don't tell me.) I think I'm the luckiest Mom in the whole world today, even if I was barfed on most of the afternoon. It's okay - that's what Moms are for, right?

No comments: