Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Life Savers

On Friday, I got a call from a mutual friend of mine and R's. She works for a company that finds employees for specific companies. A job suddenly opened on base, and she needed someone with a financial background, so she called to see if I'd be interested. Well, yes! Yes I would. All I needed to do was find childcare, and how hard could that be in a place with so many options?!?

Well, quite hard, apparently. S isn't potty trained yet. She's not the least bit interested at this point after a great start to the process. That's a problem because it rules out the CDC and a lot of the private preschools. T has pre-k, which means I need to find a provider that can get him to and from school or that lives/operates in the school district.


We signed them up for the CDC..they are in the 50's on the waiting list AND S must be potty trained (totally not going to happen in two weeks) plus T is considered special needs because of his IEP, which will probably make it even more difficult for him to get in.

Many of the home daycare providers on base don't have space for a temporary full time child, or the space they do have doesn't fit the criteria for this job. I had an interview with the approving committee for this job yesterday on very, very short notice. My friend/workout partner/lifesaver Samantha agreed to watch the kids while I went on even shorter notice. I'm so grateful.

When I went to pick up the kids, neither one of them wanted to leave. Instead of annoying me, it made me really happy. I'm glad that they have the ability to blend well - even if T did leave the door open when he was going to the bathroom scarring Samantha's daughter for life - and take his second massive poop of the day that required assistance in the wiping area. Poor Samantha. I finally pried the kids out the door when Samantha's husband came home and they had to eat dinner right away he had school that night. T invited himself and S to stay for dinner, which was nice but totally misguided. And he didn't even invite me! HA!

So after I drag them out the door and to the car and we head home, T announces he's hungry. Cool - because we are going home to fix dinner. "But it won't be as GOOD as what they are having!" wails T.

"Do you know what they were having?" I ask, amused because I already know the answer

"Noooooooooooo, but it will be better than what we have!"

"Because it's at their house?"

"Yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss"

Of course.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I just saw this post. T is hysterical. Jackie keeps asking me why I'm laughing as I'm sitting here ROFL. Tell him we will have him & S (and of course, you and R) for dinner soon. And I'll let him know ahead of time what the menu is. He is too stinkin' funny.