Monday, March 29, 2010

Now I'm beginning to think it's me

Last week, I made the huge, enormous, tactical error of removing the Go Diego Go dvd that was on perma-play in the car and actually putting in a (gasp) cd. Since I rarely ever get to listen to anything not kid related in the van, the only non child cd I had was a Dixie Chicks cd that I found hiding behind a Raffi cd. So that's what went in the cd/dvd player.


When I went to eject the cd and put Diego back in, the cd would not eject. Nor would it reload to play. This means big trouble. Cartoons are like crack for my kids. Soothes even the most savage of attitudes 98% of the time. Unless, you know, they are fighting about who's breathing in the most air or who got more animal crackers - just the important things. After trying unsuccessfully to figure out this little issue on my own, I looked for some assistance in the form of internet research (yes, I told R but he just kind of grunted and immediately forgot I said anything that involves 'needs fixing' and 'help'). I found and downloaded the instruction manual for the unit that we managed to lose between shipping the car from Germany to here. Then I actually read the entire manual. There was absolutely nothing helpful in it for this issue whatsoever. Figures.

Okay, time for last resorts. I emailed the company. This is word for word what I wrote:

"We purchased a car that had a dvd/cd/gps system in it already. We usually have a dvd playing, but I ejected the dvd disc with no problems and put in a cd. The cd played, but when I went to eject it, it wouldn't eject and I can't get it to load or play either. HELP!
Also - we have dvd monitors on the front headrests and the passengers side is no longer working. The blue light is on indicating that it's getting power, but no picture. Any suggestions for repair on that or am I just going to have to purchase a new monitor headrest?"



This is the reply I received:


"Thank you for contacting _____ USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for ______, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

For the headset monitors to display an image, you would have to enter the Setup Menu and select AV Interface. Press the right arrow next to the AV I/F 1 to go to page 2. Change the AV Out to DVD.

It is difficult to determine what may be causing the eject problem with your unit. We suggest that you ship the unit to a _____ authorized service center for a professional evaluation as well as repair. If you would like to troubleshoot the problem by telephone first, you may contact the ______ Product Support Department..."

Sigh.


Customer service person,

I can not imagine the people you must deal with on a regular basis that the common solution to the headrest problem is that the vehicle operator doesn't realize how to change it from AV to DVD. Scary. Unfortunately, I already thought of this and the setting is correct. Any more bright ideas? I've also cross connected the wires from the non working headrest to the working headrest. The working headrest works no matter which side it's hooked up to. The non working headrest does not. It would also be infinitely easier to remove a headrest and send that in versus dismantling my dash, removing the dvd/cd/gps unit and sending that in for service. And the closest place to send it is hundreds of miles away? You have a service location in Puerto Rico, for heaven's sake. I can't believe you don't have more locations in mid America. What's up with that? And if I'm supposed to pull out the unit, perhaps I'd need instructions? Just a thought.

Sincerely,
An owner that's not a complete idiot.

No comments: