Monday, March 8, 2010

Diet Diary Day - entry 1

Dear Diet Diary (and Dr. Ian)


I have almost really, truly, absolutely made it thorough the detox phase. I don't know that I feel detoxed, per se, but I feel a heck of a lot better this week then I did this time last week. Let me stop for a moment and reflect on that. I thought I was feeling pretty darn good last week, truth be told. Whenever I'm in a regular exercise routine I have more energy overall and I feel better health wise and about myself in general. Look at me! I'm exercising! Regularly! Without a gun to my head! It's hard to explain without sounding a bit...well, spoiled....how much I hate to sweat and how hateful it makes me. And I mean, it makes me so hateful that it divides it into two words with capital letters - Hate. Ful. So really and truly, it's quite a statement that I'm actually genuinely looking forward to exercising daily and that I'm doing it six days a week, sometimes twice a day. This is promising.

Now about the food part. Monday and Tuesday were awful. Horribly, terribly difficult. It didn't help that I also was dealing with the additional stress of what will henceforth be known as THE JOB THING. Turns out I don't want to go back to work yet. It was quite the surprise to me to figure that out, but since that little situation monopolized the blog entries last week, I'm moving right along. Back on point, the stress from all that literally had me pacing the floor and repeatedly opening the pantry and refrigerator door enough that the kids were even like - what are you doing!?! I mostly stuck to the diet on Monday, but Tuesday was not good. I am still waffling about whether or not I want to count Wednesday as the first true day of the detox, but I gotta tell you, adding two more days on at this point seems a lot more like two weeks.

Hands down best meal of the week goes to a great idea given to me by my cousin Analise: steamed broccoli, steamed brown rice (Uncle Ben, I will love you FOREVER for your 90 second rice pouches) with some low fat Parmesan grated cheese. I think I actually licked the bowl. Shameful! My new favorite salad is baby spinach, carrots, celery, cukes, diced apple and almond slivers. When I told R that I'd eaten salad for a week without cheese, he had to re-hinge his jaw back together. I don't think it was quite that amazing, but whatevs.

Once I got into the routine of it all, it did actually get easier. I was even able to fix meals for R and the kids that were on my top 5 list without being tempted to sneak a taste. By Saturday, it didn't even bother me that they had ice cream and I didn't. That was another huge surprise. I did slip up a bit after Tuesday, but nothing to that extreme again. Tuesday I had a package of pop tarts, some chocolate milk, a few girl scout cookies (tagalongs - YUM), and way too many nuts. I love almonds and cashews, which you can have on this diet, but I'm almost to the point that I'm not sure it's worth having 10 cashews or 10 to 14 almonds for 100 calories. I can have 80 cups (not really) of raw spinach for that or a crap load of broccoli or mixed veggies. Even 100 calories of apple is pretty generous. Thank goodness we are now living somewhere I can find decent produce at a decent price. That helps a lot. A LOT.

Onto the physical appearance issue. I did not take before pictures. I meant to, but I chickened out. I may or may not take pictures at the end of the detox. I've got such a long way to go still...ugh! But - I put on a pair of pants on Saturday that were noticeably looser, and by noticeably, I mean that even R said something. He's not the type to say something if he didn't notice, so I feel confident that I'm not imagining it or that it's wishful thinking.

I have to admit I'm REALLY looking forward to having chicken again this week. I think we are going to grill out some turkey burgers by this weekend (if it stops raining long enough). I get to weigh in at the start of phase II, which will either be Wednesday or Friday (probably Wednesday). I'll not be posting my actual weight, but I'll be happy to post what I lose (please, please, please let me have lost something! I'm not looking for Biggest Loser first week numbers here...just some progress please!)

Stay tuned....

No comments: