Thursday, March 11, 2010

Grooming and a neighbor update

Finding a hairdresser you like, trust, and can afford can be rather difficult. Let's face it, I'm not nearly as picky about my hair as I used to be. Jenn, the lady that did my hair in Germany (whom I miss terribly), recommended some places for me in the metro area, but my friend Samantha recommended someone that's really close by and since her hair looks awesome, I thought I'd give Laura a try.

A couple things about my hair....it's really thin these days and not just because of the fine texture. When I get stressed, I really start shedding. The other day I noticed that I have all this new growth (thank god) from the last round of shedding which coincided with our PCS. The bad thing is that the new hairs stick straight up which looks like a version of a crew cut if you look at it in the right light and the right angle. It reminded me of the Kate Gosselin reverse mullet except the short hairs are all over instead of just in the back. Not. Pretty. Fast forward past my usual detailed recounting and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cut and color! I'm so relieved I don't have to go into the city any time I need follicular assistance.

I also got my eyebrows waxed. I try to keep up with the plucking between waxes, but I swear that overnight I can have a mini jungle spring up. It's rather disheartening, especially since the hair that's appearing on my face seems to be in direct correlation to the thinning on top. What is UP with that? I haven't even started menopause yet (I don't think) so why on earth do I feel like I ought to be shaving these days? And, FYI, those 'personal trimmers' that they market to the ladies? It's the same thing as shaving if you use it for facial hair. I'm just sayin'...

I ended up asking Laura to wax my face just for kicks and grins. I've never had it done before, but the lighting in the salon suggested that it would be a really, really good idea. I've been walking around in broad daylight without make up like that for a while. Oh the horror! The HORROR! And you know what? It hurt like nobody's business. How women wax their lady parts is totally and completely beyond me. The good news is that I'll only have to do this about 21 more times before whatever waxing product they use starts to cause the existing hair to come back thinner and finer. But my face feels fabulous and really, it would be hard to feel attractive knowing that I'm walking around with a lady beard. Perish that thought!
So here's a pic of after: R didn't notice (he says) that I had food in my teeth. (Rolling my eyes) And frankly, walking around not knowing I had food in my teeth is just so...me. So I'm posting it anyway. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to use photoshop and I can solve these little...situations myself. And the divine Ms. S, resident diva, is trying to make the spoon stick to the end of her nose - just in case you were wondering.




As for my neighbor update:

After I made dinner, I flipped through the mail and noticed that we had a letter for Crazy Eyes McNeighbor - erm... I mean the lady next door. The envelope was stamped that it was time sensitive material, so I decided to just walk it on over since it wasn't even 7 pm. Off I go on my good samaritan mission (snort) and I ring their doorbell. Their lights are on and I can hear voices inside, so I know that someone's home. It was dark enough that they couldn't really see me if they looked out, so I figured that they weren't coming to the door after I stood there for about a minute. Then I heard voices closer to the door and I clearly heard Mrs. McNeighbor say, "I'm not opening the door." Not sure if they were talking to each other or to me, I decided I'd just slip the letter into the screen door and be on my merry way. As I started to do that, Mr. McNeighbor opens the door. Now, at this point, I've seen and spoken with him about a dozen times since the last moving truck incident. He's always friendly and kind. Always. Tonight was no different, and as I explained that her mail got put in our mailbox, he was gracious and even said thank you. Seriously, I have no idea how he lives with her. It makes me want to bake him some cookies and send 'em over with a condolence note. Do you think Hallmark or Shoebox has a category for that?

No comments: