Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A story of beauty and grace -- and other things too.

Yesterday it seemed like the entire house was feeling under the weather. T chose to go to school and we let him since he hadn't been running a fever. S was grumpy and less energetic than normal. My head was pounding and my throat was sore, and Mom slept all day.

This morning, Mom said she was feeling much better and offered to keep S while I took T to school and went to the Y. The kids were both reluctant to get out of bed today, so I took Mom up on her offer, and T and I headed to school. We parked and were walking across the parking lot to the school. A very nice gentleman signaled for us to cross while he waited in his car. I had T's hand and said, "let's run!" so we started to run across the crosswalk.

Sigh. I'm not sure what happened next. I think my abnormally large foot got tangled up with T somehow and down I went in the middle of the crosswalk in front of about 80 people. Classic. To make it even better, in trying not to fall on T, I ended up making him fall too. This isn't the first time my feet have caused me that kind of trouble. I went to Carowinds with Angie and Tina and my foot got stuck getting out of one of the rides and I took a pretty bad fall. I played softball with a work team for several years and every. single. year. I would trip over my own feet at some point and eat it in a spectacular fashion. Totally embarrassing. Just like the time I went out to dinner with my brother and some of his friends and fell down the steps at Lone Star. I hadn't even been drinking nor was it bad weather. Then there was the time I was a banquet server at a chain hotel and my feet slipped on a wet spot on the floor while I was carrying a tray of cheesecake to a Peterbuilt conference. Unfortunately for me, the Peterbuilt guys had the door to their banquet room open and could see into the rear of the kitchen. So when I slipped and fell, landing in my best James Brown split imitation, of course I was wearing a skirt that rode up to my hips. Nothing like lunch and a show, right? But at least I didn't drop any of the cheesecake. I also got an ovation from the Peterbuilt group. So I guess it's pretty lucky that I haven't fallen in public here before now, since we've been three months. I just hate that I had to take T down with me, but I'm grateful that he didn't get hurt and that I didn't fall on him.

This is just the latest in our streak of less than stellar luck. Somehow our digital camera got pushed off the bar into the sink where it just happened to land in a Tupperware container filled with water. I have no idea how long it was in there - it couldn't have been terribly long, but it was long enough to totally jack it up. The sliding door on the driver's side of our van stopped opening or closing properly so I hosed the sliding parts with the generic WD-40 and so far (fingers crossed) that seems to have fixed it. I didn't pay enough attention to the overflow of generic WD-40 when I wiped off the surplus, so the side of my van has some slightly different colored paint stripes as a result. You do have to look really, really hard to see them though, which is comforting. Today the kids managed to lock the door from the house to the garage without me noticing or checking, so I got locked into the garage when I went out to get something. The kids thought it was hilarious. Me...not so much. On Friday, T jumped off the trampoline (we hadn't put the enclosure up yet) and landed on his feet on the ground. I was so impressed, I encouraged him to show R, but when he tried, he slipped and landed hard on his hip/side. For a few minutes, we really thought he might have cracked a bone. I could just see me trying to explain that to the staff in the ER - "Well, Doctor, he did it so well the first time I asked him to do it again. No, we haven't put the netting up yet because it takes two adults to do it and we haven't had a chance. Why, yes our kids can climb on the trampoline without assistance, but we asked them not to, so I'm sure they won't. Well, we did stuff like that when I was a kid and we all survived. Sure...I'll be happy to talk to social services."

No comments: