Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Would you like butter with that?

Last night at dinner we were noshing on some spaghetti and garlic bread for R's birthday dinner. I bought some plain italian bread and was planning on eating that with dinner instead of the heavily buttered garlic bread. The kids saw me eating plain bread and wanted some too. I had no issue with that whatsoever. But then they wanted margarine on their bread. Okay, no big deal. Then they wanted to put the margarine on themselves. Eh - not my favorite idea, but they have to learn sometime and why not let them try if they've taken the initiative, right? Only the last time they were given free reign with bread and margarine, the margarine was put on so thick you'd think they were shooting a country crock commercial. And then S licks the margarine off the bread, which just grosses me out. BLECH. She also insists on calling it cheese. Whateva.

Anywho, they are buttering their bread and being fairly conservative with the thickness of the margarine and I look up and see a strange look on R's face. I look over at S, and she's buttering the already buttered garlic bread. I'm amused and grossed out, and then she leans over the bread and licks it, getting this huge glob of margarine on her tongue. She eats it and goes, "Ummm! Goooooooooood!" and I can't help but laugh as I fight the urge to throw up in my mouth a little. As she goes to the margarine tub for a replenish, I get a bright idea and say, "Who's ready for......CAKE!" And that works great - the margarine with a little bread on the side has been forgotten. We do the whole birthday thing for R, and I realize that the icing is butter cream which means that it's made up of butter, sugar, and food coloring. And what am I doing? Licking it off my fingers. So who am I to judge? And really - is it better to let her have straight margarine or is it better to mix it with a gallon of sugar and pass is off as allowable. Cause sitting in preschool eating butter is going to get a very different reaction than sitting in preschool eating icing. It's certainly something to think about, isn't it?

No comments: