Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Visiting the past

This weekend, a Facebook friend of mine that I know from high school posted a bunch of pictures on her Facebook page from way back when. Who ever doesn't believe that time machines exist needs to be me looking at these pictures because WHAM! I was right back in high school (and it was bad enough the first time).

One of the pictures had a high school boyfriend in it. Oh, man, I had it bad for this guy! For anyone familiar with the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, this guy was the Edward to my Bella. Except I wasn't popular or in demand of any kind. No, really! Ahh...the absorbing, all consuming power of young love. Even after we broke up, we stayed good friends for several years and I exchanged Christmas cards with his mom until she and I eventually lost track of one another in the late 90's. A couple of years ago, I came across a necklace that he'd given me when we were dating. It was his grandfather's and it meant a lot to him. I offered it back when we broke up, but he told me to keep it, and I did -for all those years. When I found it, I just felt this overwhelming urge to give it back. I figured he'd have kids by now and he may want to pass that necklace to his kids since he got it from his grandfather. A quick search of property records and I had his address. It's a little scary how much information is out there on the internet and how easy it is to get. Just sayin'. I sent him the necklace and a note with some pictures I had somehow ended up with, thinking he might want those too. I gave him my email address and said I hoped to hear from him and how he was doing. I never did.

I was surprised to see that someone had tagged his picture on Facebook, so I clicked on his name, and lo and behold he has a Facebook page. Well, get out of town! I sent him a friend request, which he ignored. Color me a little sad about that - but it certainly isn't going to have me lying in the woods in a fetal position or in a depressed stupor until I become best friends with a werewolf. (Which, oddly enough, we spent an entire summer reading books about vampires ad werewolves. How ironic!) I hope he's well, I hope he's happy. C'est la vie.

Coincidentally, the last batch of stuff that was delivered Monday contained a box labeled books. When I opened it, it was literally a time capsule. Junior High yearbooks, letters from friends and old boyfriends, tons of pictures, a collection of journals whose entries are about as consistent as my blog entries have been for the last two years (are we sensing a pattern here?). All in all, it was a big ol' box of memories and I had the best time going through all that stuff, so many great memories from my junior high years and even high school (despite my overall determination to forget as much of high school as possible).

But the journals - whooooooooeeeeeeeeeee. I'm just going to say it. I was a boy crazed, self absorbed idiot. I'm sure that numerous people who knew me then would readily agree. If the journals were any indication whatsoever, it was beyond obvious. What a hoot to relive those years through the eyes of my teenage self. I found myself wondering what happened to all the people I knew back then, and a lot of them were on Facebook once I bothered to look. And all of them that I requested as friends added me. So maybe I wasn't as bad as my private self came across.

So I propose this: anyone out there that ever reads this and has a box o' memories they are ready to put behind them - I say throw a little party, celebrate the you that you were then versus the you that you are now and burn, burn, burn the evidence. Provided, of course, that you want to.

No comments: