Sunday, January 3, 2010

What a difference a great night's sleep makes

Bob and Sandy were nice enough to lend us their spare room. I'm a firm bed sorta gal, and luckily so is R. We had to buy a mattress, and after some sincere and practically heart stopping pricing, we ended up getting what we hope will be a good mattress, but probably one that won't last 10 or more years. Ah, well, you roll with whatcha got at times.


We briefly discussed checking out a sleep number bed. If it's good enough for the bionic woman, it's good enough for me. But time and budget issues, plus all the house hunting and assorted other stresses added up to our buying the first mattress we saw that fit both our firmness criteria and our budget. Doggone budget! We slept on it New Year's Eve, and I slept great. I mean, I stretched out, passed out, and didn't wake until morning. That's unusual for me lately.

At Bob and Sandy's we were talking about snoring. Both R and his dad snore loudly. So when we put the kids to bed, T was all excited to get to sleep in a sleeping bag in the bonus room. We put S on the blow up mattress we were going to use with plans to move her to a similar sleeping arrangement as T when she fell asleep. S didn't want to go to bed alone in a new room that was completely unfamiliar. I don't blame her. So I laid down with her until she fell asleep.

I've never slept on an air mattress before and I gotta be honest, I envisioned sitting on it, the cap popping off and denting the wall and all the air squeaking out like the world's biggest whoopee cushion. Fortunately that didn't happen, but I did sink down a bit. In the 30 or so minutes I was in there with S, I knew this was not the bed for me. I was aching already as I literally rolled out onto the floor. R was nice enough not to laugh at me. (Thanks, honey!) When he and I got ready for bed, I suggested that he sleep on the airbed with S and I take her place on the mat with the sleeping bag. I think he was really surprised that I'd offer to sleep on the floor, but I did, and that's how we worked it. And the two nights that we stayed in Oklahoma? He didn't snore at all. That's the first time he hasn't snored in ages.

So now I wonder if maybe once we recover from this financial leech this move has become if we should price some sleep number beds? I'd imagine they hold their air much better than a regular air mattress, and I love the idea of both of us getting a great nights' sleep. Anyone ever tried one? I wonder if they would be easier to move than a regular mattress? Ohhh...the questions....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David and I purchased a sleep number bed some years ago. Pre-children. In the beginning it was all cool and novel...but almost to the day, after the 30 day money back guarantee wore off, we started noticing things. One David and I could set each side to different settings, which initially was cool, but try rolling over on to the other side of the bed and then you had issues. There is a piece of foam that runs down between the two "air bags" and no matter what you set it at it seems to be this lump right down the middle of the bed. If you strictly stay to your side of the bed and don't do any middle of the bed activities then it might be fine. But it was so irritating that we we finally just got rid of the bed. It is easy to move because it is super light. It is just a plastic frame, a few foam pieces and then the air bags. My suggestion, save your money for a high end mattress. It will be more comfortable and last you longer.

Brooke said...

That's great to know - thank you! Once things settle down and we get caught up financially, we'll start a bed fund. By the time the one we bought wears out, we should have enough money to get a top of the line one. :)