Saturday, January 23, 2010

The benefits of unpacking

I've been avoiding the remainder of the unpacking since the rest of the boxes got here on Monday. Today, because my husband is the greatest man alive, like - ever, he went into the garage and got the process started. The fact that he'd also like to park both our vehicles in the garage might have helped that along a bit.

It has amazed me as we've gone through this unpacking process what made it through the last five years unharmed and what did not. For example - there was a box of framed pictures from when we moved off base that never got wrapped or packed properly before they were shipped here. Not a single piece of glass or frame got broken. We had lamps shipped with the light bulbs still in them, plugged them up and they worked. Crazy, because the washer and dryer that was sent to storage to, well, sit for four years got damaged. The top part that has the controls got dented and really banged up on both of them.

Today, R unpacks several boxes labeled "tools" and packed around the yard tools and the power tools we didn't take to Germany were all my good clothes we sent to storage. Amazingly, they didn't get messed up. Unbelievable. We found a lot of stuff that we knew we had and a lot of things we had forgotten we had. Among my favorite finds was an ice crusher. This thing has to be from the 1970's or so, and I love it. I washed it up and crushed a bunch of ice tonight, which my kids ironically told me was 'too loud'. I still chuckle at that thought. Of course I laugh anytime S or T tells me that anything is too loud.

So, here I am, sitting here blogging away with my gigantic cup of crushed ice. Life is good.

1 comment:

laura said...

take that sonic ice! we totally just found a bunch of random stuff we hadn't unpacked at our first house here in Germany too... although most of it was crap......lol. glad to see you are settling into the new place :) that is hilarious about the kids complaining about volume as well.... go figure!