Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Well, blah.

Yesterday was such a great day. Everything just seemed to flow well and easily. I love days like that.

We got the van back yesterday, and as we expected, the battery was totally dead. We'd been having problems with it before we left Germany, and for goodness' sake, it's a 2003, so it's time for a new battery. As I got in to drive it home, I noticed that the TCS (traction control system) and the engine light were on. I'm guessing that the engine light may have something to do with how little gas it had in it for shipping, so we filled it up and we'll see if it resets. The TCS light was much easier, it was just a switch that got flipped. I like easy fixes. I also like easy fixes that are inexpensive, such as pushing a button, tightening a gas cap, or flipping a switch.

The van needs an oil change, new wipers, and to have the tires rotated too. In addition, one of the remote entry fobs died a horrible death in Germany and needs to be replaced. So I'm figuring that I'll just make an appointment and take the car in for well-deserved once over from the local Honda dealership. They have a great website - you can make appointments online and everything. You can also see the pricing. I'm in sticker shock. The 75000 mile service is $250, which covers the oil change, checking the belts, fluids, rotating the tires, checking the air pressure, etc. To check why the check engine light is on is $99.95. If the timing belt needs to be replaced, that's another $800 plus change (all prices are approximate, of course) and a new battery will set me back another $100 +.

This is turning out to be one expensive, stressful, frustrating move. Enough already. Geez!

Then I call the school system to try and figure out what to do about T. One transfer, two phone calls, and a lot of "I'm not sure"s later, I'm waiting on the assistant principal to call me back. It looks like T will have to start the evaluation process all over. ALL OVER. You have got to be kidding me. Of course there's no comparable program to the one he attended in Germany here and I'm ready to just run screaming down the street in frustration. Only I'd probably just slip on the ice and end up in some cast on a part of my body, which would make the rest of the unpacking and the constant freaking cleaning a real pain.

We are out of bread and T is refusing to get dressed so we can go to the store. S got up at 4:45 am and made noise (no matter what we tried) until T was awake too. So it's 10:30ish and the three of us are Grrrrr to the ouchy. I can't decide if I want a drink or a nap more. It's not a good sign that I'm opening the fridge to eye up the amaretto.

But this attitude isn't going to get me anywhere but in a worse mood and all stressed out. So! Here's the way I'm going to handle this. I'm heading to the nearest Advance Auto (or similar store) after I Jackie Chan the T man into his clothes. Or, maybe I'll just take him out in his pj's. It's certainly not the worst thing that could ever happen, and it appeals to me more than a fight does. I'm going to get a battery and wiper blades and ask if they can diagnose the check engine light for me. I'll make an appointment for the 75000 mile service at Honda because I know that the van really needs it and I'm hoping that this will catch any issues before they become catastrophes. Then we are going to the grocery store whether the kids like it or not. After we accomplish that, I'm going to start calling FCC providers. The kids need some playtime with other kids and if I have to pay to make that happen, then so be it. I need a mental break from the fighting and they need a break from my brilliant, incisive parenting style of snapping, "STOP YELLING! GEEZ!!!!"

Oh, and Publishers Clearing House? Any time you are ready to deliver that $10 million check is good with me. The sooner the better. Just sayin'....

No comments: