Friday, January 8, 2010

No knocks = good news

Yay! Even with hanging up pictures and screaming kids for the last day or so, our neighbor hasn't come back over, left any nasty notes, or (that we know of) complained to anyone that's going to get us in trouble. We hope. I just re-read this so let me clarify - I'm not hanging up screaming kids, I'm just living with them. ha.

I spent several hours this morning putting together a framed photo collage after unpacking yet another box of pictures. Where in the world did we put all these things in our small apartment in Germany? Yeeesh. How is it possible that we can be in a house this big and I still feel like I need more space? It just makes no sense.

And, it's still freakin' cold here. Our heat is on overdrive, even though it's only on 70. It feels more like 62 downstairs and 80 upstairs. I'm convinced that a large part of the problem is due to the amount and size of windows and glass doors downstairs. So today, after R came home for lunch so I could have the car for the rest of the day (our van still isn't here....sigh), the kids and I headed to purgatory, also known as the mall. JC Penney was having a sale on thermal curtains that are supposed to help block out heat or cold and help reduce energy costs. I sure hope so!

I also found some super cute curtains for S's room that were really, really reduced. I can't wait to put them up tomorrow and see how they look. I tried to get T interested in the curtain choosing process, and to my huge amusement, he picked out really frilly, lacy, or fringed curtains. But he wanted them in navy blue. That kid is hilarious. He also loved the bead curtains but there's absolutely no way that's happening. Since the kids went along peacefully (for the most part) with the shopping experience, I let them ride the carousel on our way out. I love how excited they get at stuff like that, and getting out of the house was good for the three of us. Even if it was to the mall.

I feel like I'm starting to get a good feel for the area now. I can't wait until the van comes so we don't have to share a vehicle and I can take the kids to do stuff without having to coordinate the timing with R - even though he's really understanding about things like that. As soon as the weather will allow, I really want to go to the zoo or take the train into the city and explore. Well, on second thought, perhaps I don't want to drag them through the city on foot. I think having them secured in car seats is a much better idea, especially since S's new idea of hilarious is to try and run out into traffic. Of course, I think it was this time last year her idea of hilarious was to try and drink water out of puddles in parking lots. I suppose that's progress.

No comments: