Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The far reaching influence of TV

In Germany, to say we had limited channels would be an understatement. It worked in our favor, actually, because we didn't sit like zombies in front of the TV all the time, as we had been known to do prior to moving overseas. I love to have background noise, so I'm probably the biggest offender in our family of wanting the TV on.

When we got to the States and the kids had access to several channels that showed cartoons all day - well - they were enthralled and obsessed. And I have absolutely used Nick Jr to my advantage for unpacking and cleaning purposes. I've even used tv as a tantrum distraction (Look! It's DORA!!!!)

Now, these are the kids that I have to tell not to jump on the furniture about 50 times a day minimum. I also have to remind them every time they take their coats off to hang them up and not throw them on the floor. Other things I repeat incessantly include: cookies are not a breakfast food, wash your hands please, if you are going to pick your nose, at least use a tissue, pick up your toys, no running in the house, sit at the table until you are finished with dinner, I'm not your maid, and every mom's favorite - pick up your toys.

Imagine my surprise when we pulled up at Walmart a couple weeks ago and T sees the Walmart logo and says, "Save money, live better". O-kay. Today, S was sitting on the floor and stacking blocks and she counts to five - IN SPANISH. When we asked the kids last weekend if they wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese, after his enthusiastic yes I tell him it's where a kid can be a kid. He comes back with, "and they are a proud sponsor of PBSKids." Oy vey!

After an episode of Sid the Science kid - which they only watched once - T can tell you about how leaves make food and why they are green. T and S can chime in on any theme song currently used for a kids cartoon that they watch, and if Dora or Diego come on, then you'd think my little ankle biters have won the lottery. S got so excited last week that even T said, "Calm down already. It's just Diego. Go Diego Go."

When I turned of the TV today after S counted to five in Spanish, T asked me why and I said I thought that we'd seen enough TV for one day. His response? "But Nick Jr. is like Preschool on TV."

Oh my.

No comments: