Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shame on you, John Edwards

I just read an article that John Edwards admitted that he fathered a child with Reille Hunter. This is the woman he had an affair with, lied about it, got caught, then admitted it. Of course, then he said it was over, got caught again, then admitted 'the truth' version 2.0. Then he denied for a very long time that he was the father of this poor little girl, probably got caught (my guess is DNA) versus just doing the right thing and accepting responsibility which has now prompted him to come out with his current determination of the whole truth - version 3.2.7, addendum 517. Or something.

I mean, really, can you imagine the conversations behind closed doors? Maybe John went to the Bill Clinton school of adultery management, because he seemed to handle this situation in a similar manner as Bill did - deny until proof is produced, but then admit only what you have to. Funny how it never seems to occur to men such as Bill and John that keeping your pants on and zipper zipped would likely avoid all these nasty situations to begin with.

I'm not a very political person. I think the effort of keeping up with what's politically correct these days has just occupied all the available space in my brain that might possibly have once been allocated to the actual intelligent discussion of any political issues. Political discussions lead to lots of arguments. I don't like arguments. You want to debate? Cool. But rarely do people manage to discuss such things in a calm, rational, logical, and fair manner. Of course, then I feel an absurd and overwhelming need to make peace and it inevitably turns me into the bad guy. Besides, I'd much rather read gossip magazines and blogs (like http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/) so that I feel entirely justified in being snarky and self righteous. I will go on record and say that specific issues have my complete and full attention. Pro life vs. pro choice, troops in the Middle East, and gay marriage are a few examples.

Moving back to the original idea for this entry (and we're walking...and we're walking) I feel a great deal of sympathy for Elizabeth Edwards. I realize that people lie, spouses are unfaithful, and people aren't always what they seem. But this poor woman has been handed a rather rotten plate full of hardship to swallow, and I can't imagine how much this has devastated her over the last few years. Come to think of it, though, when I saw her on Oprah, I remember thinking - oh, he's totally the father of that child (I mean, we all knew it on some level, didn't we?) and she is one pissed off wife. I've been in a relationship or two where I immediately recognized the smirky, slinking 'I'm not sorry, I'm sorry I got caught' look that was also on Mr. Edwards face. (coughNormancough)Tsk tsk.

But I really feel sorry for the little girl - who is going to be the one to suffer long term. Of course, I'm sure that when Elizabeth passes on that John will have someone from his staff do some sort of climate survey to determine the proper amount of time he can wait before announcing his next relationship - whether it be with Rielle or someone else at that point - that he'll have already been in for weeks/months/years. Frankly, I hope his tongue rots and falls out of his mouth so we won't have to hear any more excuses or revised versions of the truth.

No comments: