Friday, September 24, 2010

Tomorrow, tomorrow..is only a day away.

Whatever it was that S had last week, I've managed to pick up this week. Probably from all the sneezing and coughing in my face at the butt crack of dawn as she wakes me up to tell me her nose is stuffy. And then, of course, she refuses to blow it. I promise you it's been easier to potty train the kids than to teach them how to blow their nose.

I kind of get it with T because when he blows his nose, it makes his ears hurt. With all the ear issues he's had, I'm not surprised. He's supposed to grow out of this, but we are still waiting for that to happen.

But with S? I have no idea what's the issue with the tissue. hehe. Sorry. I'm on sinus meds and sort of punchy. So this morning she comes in the bedroom and says (predictably) "My nose is stuffy."

Me: Let's try and blow your nose, okay?
S: Okay.

I get a tissue and hold it up to her nose. At the same time, my nose starts running, so I grab another tissue and wipe my nose.

S: No, Mommy. Blow your nose."
Me: Okay (I blow my nose). Your turn.
S: Okay.

And she DOES it. Hallelujah! But when I try to get her to do it again, she refuses. Loudly. And then she collapses into tears. I still don't know if it hurts her ears like it hurts T's ears or if it's something else.

And while it's frustrating not to know, my main concern is that there is something else going on with her. She's been breaking down in tears over everything for about a week. At first I thought it was because she didn't feel well, and with the way I feel today, I SO get that. But when I dropped her off at school, she cried too. No idea what that was about, either. But it wasn't the fake wah-wah cry that she does just for attention.

Nope. These were heart wrenching tears that brought tears to my eyes too.

So what's going on with her?

I tried to get her talk to me about it this afternoon, but she wouldn't. And when she collapsed into tears because I wouldn't let her drag out the contents of my purse, I finally had had enough. I picked her up and headed upstairs with her to her room. I sat down in her rocking chair and rocked her. She didn't put up any resistance, which is unusual. So we sat there and rocked and sang silly songs until she wanted to stop.

I'd love to say that the rest of the day was uneventful or calmer or even tear free. Not so much.

Maybe tomorrow. Maybe.

No comments: