Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blue Skies

Wowsa. This weekend there was a two day air show on base. The public was welcome. Welcome by whom is up in question. I'm guessing PR folks and vendors.


Because holy snickers, people! I've never seen so many people trying to get into one place.


But come to think about it, there has been a flyer up in the Y for weeks about the air show, so I'm sure that it's been heavily advertised elsewhere. Not that I pay attention to that sort of thing.

On Thursday, some of the planes were practicing and since we live near the flight line, we heard, felt, and saw a lot of what was going to be happening this weekend. Very cool. Which of course made me want to take the kids even more. Because what three and five year old wouldn't love hanging around a military base for eight to ten hours so that they could see about 2 hours worth of flying, especially when they could see most of it from their own backyard?


Mine, that's who.

R had parking lot duty on Sunday, so I was trying to decide if I should take the kids with his help on Saturday (duh) or wait and take them on Sunday and then we could maybe hang out with R a little if he wasn't busy. Decisions, decisions.


Then, Saturday mid-morning we headed to the Y for a workout and from there went to sign the kids up at a different Y for parent's night out next weekend. Yahoo! Date night is within our grasp, baby! On our way from Y #1 to Y #2, we were traveling in the opposite direction of the air show traffic.


And just like that? I lost any interest in going, especially since we'd be able to see a lot of the flying stuff from our house. I also became suddenly quite happy that I'd managed to keep my big mouth closed to the kids about the air show. The line going into base had to be three or more miles long. It was backed up from the base gate all down the main road and onto the highway. Double lanes.


No thanks.


As it turns out, one of R's brothers and his wife ended up flying into Nashville, TN unexpectedly this weekend for Lisa's grandfather's funeral. So last minute, we were asked if it would be possible to meet up with them this weekend. And as luck would have it, no one that we had talked to about the possibility of attending the air show with wanted to go and deal with the traffic and crowds either.


That meant that Saturday afternoon found us driving to Metropolis, Illinois. Yes, like from Superman. We didn't do too much exploring around the city, we just met Eric, Lisa, and George for dinner and then headed back. R was supposed to be on base at 5 am the next morning, so we wanted to get home and get the kids into bed at a decent hour. But Eric posted some really cute pictures on his FB page and now I want to go back sometime and look around. Preferably when it's cooler and we aren't under such a time constraint.


Again with luck being on our side, on our way home R got a phone call and was told he didn't have to be at work until 7. Awesome! We were all tired, but I had sent R into the back of the van to lie down while I drove home because I could tell he was struggling to stay awake. And since he gets up with the kids on the weekends so I can sleep in if I want to? It's the least I can do.


This morning, R headed off to work the air show and the kids and I slept in until almost 8. Ahhh! Today was warmer and sunnier than the last couple of days and when I went outside to take pictures of the Blue Angels flying around, the angle of the sun was such that I could see nothing, which was proven by the video I took with our camera. It's not in focus, for most of it I don't have the planes in view, and you can hear me mutter how "I can't SEEEEEEEEE" as I point the camera directly into the sun. So I deleted it.

And that is pretty much it for this weekend.

No comments: