Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mom vs Toddler

This is a surprisingly evenly matched battle. I was not aware that I no longer have the advantage even though I'm over twice as tall as S and way heavier. Way.


So how is it, then, that a three year old who is by all considerations at a disadvantage: position, height, weight, and determination, able to just about best me when it comes to eye drops and nose sprays?


Doesn't she know this is for her own good?!?


Yeah, I know she doesn't care about that. ::sigh::


This morning I had double med duty. Eye drops and nose spray. The eye drops we have down to a painless process. She sprawls across my lap and I put the drop into the corner of her eyes and she'll normally blink for me. If not, I can pull down the lower lid just a bit and let the drop seep into her eye. It's all good. It only took four days to get this process down without tears and fighting.

The nose drops? Totally different story. We really only need them in the morning, since she's the stuffiest when she wakes up. Today she refused to even try and blow her nose.

Doesn't she know she will feel better without all that crud in her nose?!?

Yeah, I know she doesn't care about that. ::sigh::

So this morning after breakfast (feed the diva to stable the blood sugar level) I told her we were going to use the nose spray. Our resident diva did not agree.

So after I chased her down, picked her up and put her on floor, I had to fight to get keep her flailing arms and legs from beating me to a pulp. Then I had to figure out how to get her face out of the carpet and get the nose spray in that cute, adorable, stuffy, tiny little nose.

And would you believe she actually spit on me? Yep. She sure did.

So I end up turtling her. I'm on my back on the floor, she's on top of me, my legs are holding her legs sort of still, my arms are helping to restrain her arms, and then I use my hands to find her nose and somehow get the spray in it. I'm 90% sure that I got the spray where it needed to be.

20 minutes later, she is breathing through her nose (!?!) and in a much better mood. T, who thought this whole process was just hilarious, patted me on the back and said, "maybe you'll be better at it next time, Mom." ::snort::

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I just wanted to let you know I am loving your blog! I followed it on every possible platform and just wanted to let you know you have a new fan!

Brooke said...

Wow - thank you! Thanks for coming, reading, following, and commenting. It's nice to virtually meet you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I haven't had to really use the nose spray since Riley was a baby but I'm sure it's way more "fun" with a toddler. Haha.. xx

Roller Coaster said...

I cannot stand doing eye and nose drops!!! Why won't the kids just sit still? Thank goodness my 6-year-old knows how to blow his nose. Good luck the next time around!

Great to see you on the mil spouse roundup. Hope you're having a great weekend!