Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fresh air is so overrated.

You know how for the last few posts I've mentioned a thing or two about nice weather and open windows and yay for nature and blah, blah, blah?

I think we would have been just fine if I hadn't felt all smug about it. Look at me! I have my windows open and I'm not snapping everyones head off! Hurray! Pat me on the back! I'm becoming besties with Mother Nature!

Yeah. About that....

Sunday night R is walking around looking all cranky and irritable. Three straight days home with us tends to do that sometimes. But as it turns out, he was just hot. Hold the phone! R is hot and cranky before me? Write down the date! Naturally, I offer to close all the windows and turn on the A/C. Which is exactly what we do. And like magic, the crankiness subsides.

Yesterday around 6 pm, Mr Cranky appears for another visit. But wait - the A/C is already running. What's the temperature inside? 78. We usually have it set at 72 and those six degrees make a difference. And this is the second day where I'm okay temp wise and R isn't? What's up with that? Have I broken the hubolicious and reprogrammed him as hot natured? Say it isn't so!

We fiddle off and on with the A/C and the settings, and R gets too hot or fed up or something and heads to bed. I figure once the sun goes down, the house will cool off pretty quickly. Umm. Not so much. So before I go to bed, I open all the windows and turn off the A/C. No point in wasting the money to run it if it's not working.

This morning? The downstairs temperature is still at 75. Turning on the A/C results in no cooling. And it's fairly humid outside, so the air is all heavy and still and incapable of soothing our heat strokes. This is going to require a call to maintenance. R volunteers to call them from work. When I come back home to get my iPod at 8:45, maintenance is already here and working on the problem. Seriously? We have the best maintenance guys on the planet.

About an hour later, the air is fixed and running, and the house is cooling off. R comes home from work today and is immediately soothed by the artificially cooled environment or maybe just the fact that he called it in and it got fixed post haste. And interestingly enough, my sneezing fits stopped once the a/c kicked back on. I knew I was probably allergic to fresh air. See Mom?! I so was not lying when I was 10.

Of course, looking at the weather forecast, the weather is cooling off this week again which is just fine with me. But I'll absolutely be checking with R before I turn off the air and open the windows. Just in case. And also because of my fresh air allergy. heh.

No comments: