Friday, September 17, 2010

Blah, blah, ballroom

Remember how I mentioned blah, blah, blah, ballroom dancing, blah at some point last week? (And seriously - how lazy am I not to even go back and look that up? But no lie, I am that tired today.)

Well, R and I meant to practice our Waltz. Really, we did. I also meant to practice the belly dancing moves we learned and I didn't do that either.

Last night found us in ballroom dance class quite unprepared.

How unprepared were we?

When the instructor finished telling us his "good news/bad news" (which was that the Y decided both the ballroom classes didn't have enough couples in them so they are combining them and changing the time) and began showing us the next steps of the waltz, R and I both stood there looking blankly at him like he was giving us instructions in Latin backwards at warp speed.

Seeing him demonstrate was no help.

So we decided to practice what we learned last week, except we couldn't quite remember how to do that either. When we were frustrated enough to seek him out for help, he was on the phone. That did little to ease my frustration, even though he was trying to get in touch with his rep at the Y to discuss the scheduling issues.

By the time he walked over to us, R and I were both so frustrated that it was rolling off us in waves. R thought I was frustrated at him, I thought he was frustrated with me, but really we were just frustrated at life in general. And unknown dance steps. And ourselves for not practicing. And pink eye. And the waltz for being so doggone confusing.

I'm not going to lie. I thought the waltz consisted of the box step and some turns. I should really pay attention when I'm watching Dancing with the Stars this season.

By the end of the lesson, the instructor had us doing the box step, turn, and the next step that I charmingly refer to as 1-2-3-4. Which would be impressive except that there were two more steps after that that he told us not to worry about yet. Blah, blah, blah.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Haha :-)

I do think that would be fun to take ballroom dancing lessons!

And, you should totally work in those belly dancing moves...even if no one else thinks you're sexy, you sure feel like you are!! :-)