Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Workout Wednesday

Ok. I'm trying something new. Every Wednesday until I forget or lose interest is going to be workout Wednesday. I'll blog and you guys can let me know what works, what doesn't, if you tried it, if you think I'm crazy for trying it...whatever and wherever this takes us. Sound good?

Um...hello? Anybody out there?

::crickets::

Oh, well. Here I go anyway.

This morning, I jumped on the treadmill. Oh, wait. I'm being honest. This morning I reluctantly shuffled to the treadmill after giving it the stink eye on the approach. I prefer the elliptical because I burn more calories, it's lower impact, and I can go a lot faster. I prefer the Arc Trainer because I sweat like a prize fighter and I burn more calories. The arc trainer is also low impact for me and works my muscles differently than the treadmill or the elliptical, but I go slower.

So. I'm on the treadmill. I've been alternating treadmill workouts lately. Workout one is a nice circuit mix of faster and slower speeds. I got this from a friend of mine who got it from Prevention.com:

Speed Ladder
This challenging exercise routine features intervals that get increasingly harder but shorter, followed by brief recovery periods.
Time Activity (Speed*)
0:00 Warm-up (3.0 mph)
4:00 Moderate walk (3.5 mph)
9:00 Brisk walk (3.75 mph)
13:00 Moderate walk (3.5 mph)
15:00 Power walk (4.0 mph)
18:00 Moderate walk (3.5 mph)
20:00 Fast walk (4.5 mph)
22:00 Moderate walk (3.5 mph)
24:00 Speed walk or jog (5.0 mph)
25:00 Cool-down (3.0 mph)
30:00 Finished

*These are suggested speeds only and may not be appropriate for everyone. The right speed for you should be based on intensity recommendations and how you feel.


Workout two: Endurance
Warm up for five minutes at 3.0 mph, then walk for 20 minutes at 3.5 (or your intensity level 7), then a cool-down for five minutes at 3 mph.


Today I got on the treadmill and was having trouble deciding between workout one and two. I skipped working out yesterday because I just didn't have it in me, so I wanted to marry the two workouts for the best of both worlds. This is what I came up with.

Warm up for five minutes, gradually increasing speed and incline (incline on the two above workouts is set to 0) until you are at 3 mph and an incline of 3.

Every 30 seconds, increase the incline 1/2 a percent until you are struggling a bit (intensity 8 to 9). I made it to 11.5 today. Then I maintained the speed and incline for five minutes, and then stepped it back down until I was at an incline of 0, and then I did a five minute cool down.

I like this one because my speed stays the same but I still am working on increasing my cardio fitness and getting a doggone good workout. I think I'll rotate this plan in with the other two.

For weights today, Tabata training was on the menu. Tabata training is where you do a specific exercise with weights for 20 seconds, rest for 10, repeat for 20, rest for 10 (lather, rinse, repeat) for four minutes.Today were biceps, triceps, and forearms. It doesn't sound all that difficult, but don't let the description fool ya! It can be brutal for those last two 20 second sets of reps. Then you do another exercise in the same muscle group. And then another one. And then another one. And then you collapse on the floor in tears that 8 pound weights can feel like 800 pounds after four measly minutes. It's a little sad, really. But the last round of Tabata training I did? I couldn't even do five pounds for the series. So, yay. Progress.


That's my workout Wednesday for this week. I may not be able to type tomorrow, just giving you some notice.

No comments: