Saturday, August 21, 2010

What did you do today?

This morning at the ungodly hour of anytime before 8 am, R woke me up to tell me that he was headed to the Y for his last Masters Swim class and that while the kids were up, only S wanted to go. How I missed all that activity is beyond me, but I got up and went to take a shower. As I was showering, S comes into the bathroom singing, "I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack". I asked R what happened and he told me that S started crying and refused to go into the childcare room. That's unusual, but then again, she did that one day earlier this week. Hmmmm.


So, since I felt really badly that our adorable diva caused him to miss his last (paid for, mind you) swim class, I asked R if he wanted to go and work out with me at the Y. He's been noticing the changes in my upper body and has from time to time asked me what the workouts are like. (They are brutal. BRUTAL.) So off we went...back to the Y. S was fine to go in the kids room since T was with her, and R and I headed towards the cardio/weights area. After a quick warm up, I let him choose one of the workout sheets to do. Of course he picked one with lots of push ups, the glutton for punishment.

We did lots-o-push ups, we did some pull ups, we did tricep extensions, some flys, some shoulder presses...it was a great workout. R was, I think, a little surprised that he thought it was so hard because by far, he is way, way fitter than I am. And it's rare in the world of fitness that I can offer much to him that he doesn't already know. And I'm impressed that he's willing to go through my workouts with such an open mind. Not once did he say, "In the Army we.....". I so appreciate it because at 40? My hubby can still run a mile and half in about 12 minutes. I can't even fast walk a mile that quickly. It's awesome to see him run. And sexy. (wink wink). And watching him do push ups effortlessly motivated me to push myself when I did push ups.

After all the sweat and weight lifting and bonding we did at the Y, it was also Parents Night Out at the Y, so we dropped off the kids and went out. We went to Borders, then to see The Expendables, then for a quick, light dinner. I think it was the most alone time we'd spent together in months. And it was lovely. I'm so blessed and grateful for my family.

So, what did you guys do today?

No comments: