Saturday, August 14, 2010

Can you hear me NOW?

Sometimes it really, really sucks to be a girl. First there's the whole issue with not being able to pee standing up which would be nice on long road trips and at most coliseums and stadiums. Or at least the ones I've visited. Those bathrooms are nasty! And that's not even factoring in the whole port-a-potty issue. Second is the whole female cycle thing. I mean, yeah, yeah, we can carry life around and blah blah blah, but how great would it be to have an on/off button?!? That way those of us who are done having kids or are way too young to have kids or have periods so painful that it's not worth it to suffer through them each month in order to have kids could just...blip...flip off the switch and be normal. All. month. long.

Because seriously? Today I actually considered decking someone. Not like, "wow, I'd really like to smack some sense into this person if I did that sort of thing" but more like, "I wonder if I can reach far enough over the counter to do any damage and I wonder how great the fine/jail time would be for hitting this dumbass."


Oh, but that seems so unlike me, doesn't it? I KNOW! Yet for last few months? I'm having some serious anger issues in conjunction with 'that time of the month'. And it's only then. Because it's so unlike me that I've been tracking it. Today I freaked myself out enough that I googled "testosterone levels and weight training". The results are inconclusive.

My irritability started with the great school pickup debacle yesterday and was compounded by our Walmart trip today to celebrate Dora's birthday. I was expecting an actual celebration of some kind, and had to talk R into going because he is wiser than I am and probably knew it would be crap. But T and S both love Dora and Diego, so I pushed it. And wow. There was a lady at a little kiosk with a stack of cupcakes and some fliers for a photo card of Dora if you ordered some prints from Walmart. Harrumph. And the 'celebration' was by the toy aisle. Which could have been a great marketing thing except no Dora merchandise was by the cupcake kiosk. I did feel a little sorry for the employee having to hand out cupcakes and then deal with sugared up kids going nuts in the toy section.

After our Walmart experience, we headed to the commissary. Well, S and I did and R and T went to the library, but walked in right as S and I were finishing up and heading to checkout.

And this is where the potential violence comes in. The guy checking us out, aptly named Moose, was in no hurry to do anything today. What he did do was double scan and then have to void a lot of our items. Then something was going on with the debit card, so after standing there and staring at the computer screen for a while, he called for help. I asked if we could just use another card, but he ignored me. Bad idea. So I asked again, a bit louder. Still no response. As we all know, ignoring me - especially when I'm asking you something - gets me a bit hot under the collar. I opened my mouth to say something loud and unladylike when someone from the office walked up. She, too, ignored R and I and only spoke to Moose. Really bad idea. She put her key in the register, over rode the warnings from his 200 voids, and asked us to complete the transaction on the card terminal. R had asked for $20 cash back, so when the terminal asked me if I wanted cash back, I pushed yes, and the total was $40 over the grocery total. I tried explaining this to Moose and the manager, but he ignored me again and she told me we'd only be getting $20 back. Are. You. Kidding. Me.??!?!?!!!!! I look at R, who sees how angry I really am and he steps in. I throw up my hands and walk off to sit with the kids and wait for the stupidity to end.

It took awhile.

I seriously think I might need anger management. Or a hysterectomy.

No comments: