Friday, August 13, 2010

Kindergarten!

First day?

No problem.

After falling asleep really early yesterday, S woke up at 4 am, ate and drank something, then went back to sleep around 6:40. I dozed off too and woke up around 7:20 and then had to hustle T out of bed around 7:30. At that point, S refused to get up. Thank goodness Angela was here and willing to keep an eye on her for me.

I had his lunch all packed so all he had to do was get dressed, wash his face, have a little breakfast and head out the door. He was so tired!

But he perked up on the way to school when he realized that he was really, truly, finally going to Kindergarten. And that he could walk in by himself.

I offered to walk him in, but he wanted to go himself. He had been asking since last year to be able to do that, so I wasn't surprised that he wanted to go solo for his first full day. I was a little surprised how well I did with that, probably from all the advance notice, I'd guess....


Awww.....there he goes!

The pickup wasn't as smooth. Well, at least for me. School gets out at 2:50 but the teachers walk the kindergartners out around 2:45. S and I were there around 2:40, along with most other parents. So the traffic was a bit heavy. And if these parents had bothered to come to orientation, they would have known that the pick up/drop off lane is for picking up and dropping off, not parking and walking in to get your kids. For parking and walking to get your child? The school offers a great big paved area called a parking lot, complete with parking spaces and directional arrows and everything. By 3:00 when we had yet to move an inch, I was getting a smidge frustrated and saying very unkind things about fellow parents and their driving ability. Despite the fact that my nastiness was deserved (at least from my perspective) it probably would have been better kept to myself. This became apparent when S started singing "Old MacDonald" like this: "Old MacDonald had a farm. And mommy is yelling at people. A slow person here and a dumb person there! Old MacDonald had a farm and my mommy is yelling."

Oops.

At 3:05 I finally get to the pick up area, even though I was less than 100 yards from it when I freakin GOT there in the first place and T jumped into the van. Of course, he forgot to tell his teacher he saw me and was going, so she walked over and reminded us to make sure and let her know. T just wanted to get somewhere cooler, and I don't blame him. We promised to do better on Tuesday.

Once everyone was buckled in and we were moving, I peppered T with questions about his first day of school. His response, "It's a looooonng day and there are a LOT of rules." heh. But, true. Still, he seemed to really like it, so I'm taking that as a positive sign. In his daily folder, he had made a hand print and it had a little poem. Why that particular thing made me tear up I don't know, because as T said, "It's just a hand print, Mom." But his hand print is so big! And he just seems older somehow.

The whole day seemed a little anti climatic, as many of our best days are. How is it possible he's already in Kindergarten?

No comments: