Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This is what happens when your brain is full

Honestly! I do not know what my deal is lately. Yesterday, we went to a mall. The fact that I willingly entered a mall without having an express purpose or pressing need should have been a major sign that something is not okay in my head. I blame hormones. I also blame hormones for my frazzled memory, my thinning hair, my resistance to weight loss, my general moodiness, my short fuse, and the fact that I am now unwilling to put up with a lot of stuff that wouldn't have made me so much as blink ten years ago. (Okay, that last could also be attributed to moodiness, but I felt it deserved a category of its own.)

Prime example - S got put in time out for hitting T this weekend. I forgot I put her in time out and she actually sat there for well over 20 minutes. Bad Mommy!!! Bad Mommy!!! I mean, I have a timer but the batteries need to be changed. It runs on hearing aid batteries and I always buy the wrong size because they all pretty much look alike to me. So I haven't replaced the batteries yet.

Another example - S was sitting on the potty and was...umm....taking a while. I walked off to do something else, got distracted, and she sat there for about 10 minutes. Of course, she might be happy to sit alone in the bathroom because that's where I go to escape when I just can't take it anymore. Not that my being in a bathroom deters the kids, they knock on the door, rattle the door knob, lie down on the floor outside the door and stick their fingers through the crack at the bottom - all while asking a million questions that have nothing to do with anything. It's disturbing.

And right now? I'm watching the kids fight because my intervening never really seems to help anyway and all morning has been an exercise in seeing who can get whom to do what so they can tell on each other. My standard response as of 9:15 this morning has been "That's really interesting." Oddly, this response doesn't seem to be what they are looking for, but since 10:30, they have mostly gotten along. Hmmm.....

What was my point supposed to be again?

Oh, yes, I think my brain is full. Maybe it isn't that, maybe I'm just easily distracted.

Oh wait...the fighting just got ugly.

Talk to you tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that this won't involve an ER trip.

2 comments:

kris said...

You and I? Have much in common, my friend.

Like this entire post.

But especially this:

I'm watching the kids fight because my intervening never really seems to help anyway and all morning has been an exercise in seeing who can get whom to do what so they can tell on each other.

Me again. Sigh.

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you came and visited. I laughed until I cried at some of your posts this weekend. I'm ashamed of myself for no reading your blog earlier. What was I thinking?!?!??!!?!

Remind me one day to tell you the horror stories of working at Pizza Hut right after they implemented the free pizza for reading program. O.M.G. The HORROR!!!!! Ooh...wait...that might be tomorrows post....