Thursday, June 17, 2010

Out and about!

It's the Arch, man! View from the ground...


First I'd like to say Happy Birthday to my brother in law, who is here for a short visit. Happy Birthday, George! We are so glad you are here!
Today after day camp we took the kids onto the city and did some sightseeing. I do not understand how people don't actually melt here in the summer - and it's just June. UGH. We didn't do anything strenuous or even walk that far, but I was a sweaty, sweaty girl after we walked back to the car. So sweaty that George even asked me if I was okay. Yep, a-ok, just sweaty. UGH.
The kids and headless me waiting to go up in the arch.

We went to the St. Louis Arch today and then went up in it. Very, very cool! When we left, we decided to follow the GPS's instructions to find a place to grab a quick bite. This took us along the riverfront, part of which was flooded. So, like any idiot tourist, I drive through it (after I saw someone else do it, of course). It doesn't seem like it's rained that much here lately. Which shows you what I know about living in a flood plain. Nothing. Of course, it's not like the Mississippi is just fed from the tiny little part we live near. I mean, it DOES stretch North to South for a majority of the US. Geography is so not my strong point, as evidenced by my following the GPS's instructions to nowhere. Again.


Flooding. So why not drive through it like an idiot tourist?!?!


While we couldn't find the restaurant we were looking for, we did find the Anheuser-Busch brewery. We decided not to go in since the kids were with us...possibly we should have tried to see if kids were allowed, but hopefully we'll go tomorrow. We also found the National Geospacial Intelligence Agency by accident. (thanks again, crappy gps) We did not, however, attempt to tour it.

Anyway, we finally ate, we finally celebrated George's birthday with a yummy ice cream cake, and the pics I'm posting were taken with a disposable camera because I forgot to bring my digital camera. I mean, why would I want to take pictures of one of the most well known landmarks in America? Sheesh!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Brooke, once again, you had me chuckling over here. I can't believe that dang GPS you have. It seems to love dead-ends and wrong way directions. And the flooded streets. But I'm glad you all finally found a place to eat and celebrate George's birthday. How did the kids like going up in the arch? Also, I do believe kids are allowed inside the brewery. They have the Clydesdale horses, too.