Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Odds and ends

Just some odds and ends that made me laugh lately:

It took T 24 miles into our 700 mile trip to say, "Is it much further?" I say yes, we'll be driving all of that day and part of the next. Silence for a few minutes and then..."Well I might as well get comfortable then."

It took S 30 miles to spill her drink. Note to self - your brilliant idea that a convenience store cup with a lid and straw would be nearly as spill proof as a sippy cup? Not so brilliant. Your idea that something would likely get spilled while you are barrelling down the highway and can't pull over right away? Spot on. Your idea of putting a towel behind S's seat to catch any spills so it doesn't soak into the luggage? Now that was brilliant.

T was playing with his cousin Sunday and I asked him, 'Do you want to go with me to see Cinderella or do you want to stay here and play with your cousins?"
Without even looking up from what he was doing he says, "Will I have to sit still? If I have to sit still I don't wanna go. You'll want me to still still. You ALWAYS want me to sit still."

We visited my Grandmother who has Alzheimer's today. Sometimes, it's really hard to get her to talk to you. She'll reply if you ask her something and she decides to hear you (that's another story entirely), but she's not chatty very often anymore. We sat in one of the common rooms and Mom went and got her. Grandmother loves the idea of kids, so she got really excited when she saw T and S. We did the usual introductions since she doesn't remember us, and S started chattering to her after a few minutes.
G (to S): You are very pretty, aren't you?
S: I AM very pretty. I have blue eyes. My daddy has blue eyes. Grandpa has blue eyes. This is my best friend brother T. He has brown eyes. Mommy has brown eyes. Grammy has brown eyes. You have brown eyes.
G: You have eyes like your daddy (thinking that Mom's husband is S's father)
S: No, that's my grandpa. My daddy's at work. Daddy goes to work and Mommy goes to the gym.
G: You look just like your daddy. Your daddy is handsome (again, meaning Mom's husband).
S: No. My daddy at work. Daddy have blue eyes and I have blue eyes. That's Grandpa. Not Daddy. Grandpa.
G: You've been to see your Grandpa? That's nice.
S: NO! Daddy at work. That (point) is Grandpa. This is my mommy and this is my brother, T. That's my Grammy.
G: You are very pretty, aren't you?
S: Yes, I am pretty.
G: (laughs) Is this your Daddy? (meaning Mom's husband)
S: NO! That's not Daddy. Daddy at WORK. Daddy gets in his car and goes to work. Woooorrrrrrrkkkk.

T's had enough of this and chimes in....

T: We don't live here. We live at our island. We drove here. Dad is at our island at work. That's Grandpa. That's not our Dad. Grandpa. Grrraaaannnnndddddpppppaaaaaaa. Not Dad.
S: I have blue eyes!
T: We KNOW!
G:You sure are precious children. Where are your parents?
T: Mom is RIGHT THERE (pointing at me)
G: That's your mom?
S: That's our Mommy! Moooommmmiiieeeeeee. Moooooommmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiieeeeee
G: to me - Your children are precious.
Me: Thank you
S: (singing) lalalaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's the first time we've visited Grandmother in a couple years where she's been really chatty. I told Mom that we may have stumbled on a great solution: let S and Grandmother talk at each other. They are having slightly different conversations, but they both end up really happy about it.

3 comments:

Sadie said...

haha! Good save on the towel too. I went to leave a comment about mcdonald's on the last post but blogger ate it. I hope this one posts!

kris said...

Little kids rock. Your kids especially? They rock. I am so happy to have gotten to eavesdrop on this conversation. Thank you!

Samantha said...

The Cinderella story is funny. Kids are just so brutally honest. I hope you and the kids are enjoying your time in NC. Can't wait to see you back. Zumba has been great this week. Different routines.