Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday impressions

I woke up this morning at the ungodly, unnecessary hour of 6 am. The reason I woke up, as it turns out, is because the mini blinds were raised alllllll the way up allowing the very bright morning sun into our bedroom window. How did I miss this last night before bed? I'm slipping. Definitely.


It took me awhile to go back to sleep, which I managed to do just before T woke up. Lucky for me, R slept through my not sleeping and got up with T. Such a good man! And then our Sunday started. I say started but the only place I planned to be today was at Zumba at 2. So we all piddled around the house this morning until morning turned into early afternoon and I got ready to go to Zumba. Afterwards, I needed to pickup some bread and kiddie toothpaste. I also really needed to wash the bugs off the car since on our drive back to Illinois last week, we went through a stretch of Kentucky or Indiana where the bugs were so thick and loud when they hit the front of the car that it sounded like a hard rain.

I pulled into the auto car wash and decided to vacuum first. Now, I cleaned out the car last week when we were in NC, so I didn't think that a few days with the kids in the car could have done that much damage. Wrong. Oh, so very wrong. T had spilled a drink and his booster seat was glued to the car seat. For like the millionth time, I'm SO glad we have leather seats. So after I cleaned that up and pulled everything off the floor and out of the back, I vacuumed the car. Ahhh...that's better. Now to wash the bug carcasses off the front of the car.

This car wash didn't have a change machine, but the individual stalls did take bills - $1 and $5. I only had a single dollar, but I had a five dollar bill, so I put that in. I got 20 minutes. Hmmmm. I was going to pre soak the tires, but the hose wouldn't cooperate and all that came out was a tiny little trickle. It would have taken me 20 minutes to get all four tires wet, so I switched the knob to pre wash. Same pitiful trickle. Fine! High pressure soap it is. I switch the knob, pull the trigger, and due to the lack of black rubber thingie at the end of the nozzle (or so I'm convinced) the soapy water literally bounced off the van and back onto me. I was drenched. And by the way? Car wash soap tastes awful. And it's very hard to get off your glasses when your shirt is drenched with it too. And it burns when you inhale it. Blech.

Sigh. I 'high pressure wash' the van, which did very little to blast off the bug graveyard on my vehicle. How disappointing! So I break out the brush and scrub, scrub, scrub. The van is covered with thick pink soap, but when I go to rinse it off, the dirt and bug remains were still there. So as I carefully rinse off the soap to avoid a second dousing, I rub the as much of the van's surface as I can with my hand to get the dirt, grime, and carcasses off. I barely got all the soap rinsed off when my 20 minutes were up and I had no intention whatsoever of putting any more money into this little event. I put up the hose, climb in the van and go. I still need to go to Walmart, so I stop there and go in for the couple things I need. I know my shirt is damp and soapy looking, but hey when you need bread you need it, right? I grab the few things on the list and head home.

I walk in the door and R says, "Good workout, huh?" And I'm thinking - wow. I must be all glowy and exercisey looking. And then I go in the bathroom and silently freak out. From getting really sweaty at Zumba and then the hose down at the car wash, my hair looks like someone took superglue, coated my hair with it and then forced me to ride down the highway at 90+ miles an hour for it to dry. And people? I was walking around like this in PUBLIC. Unknowing. Ah, geez.

So if you see me featured on people of Walmart, please know that this was accidental and from now on, I'll be double checking my appearance after any combination of car wash and Zumba before I go anywhere else. Especially Walmart.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm sorry but I'm dying laughing here.

Anonymous said...

haha, yeah me too. I would so love if you show up in People of Walmart.

Chris said...

ahahahahahahahahaha LYMI!!

Brooke said...

Oh, rest assured..it deserves the laughs!