Saturday, June 19, 2010

Holy Hot Errand Day, Batman!

OH MY GOD IT'S HOT. I hate to be hot for no reason. I'm glad we haven't bought a house here because I am not sure I could survive a lifetime of summers in this area. Now if this heat could melt some of the fat off my butt or thighs? Well, that would change everything. But until we can harness the power of the sun for fat melting purposes, I'm just going to whine about it being so doggone hot. HOT HOT HOT.


This morning was routine. Got up, kids got up, breakfast, bickering, cleaning up, bickering, getting dressed, packing lunches, more bickering. When I got ready to leave, I asked George if he was going to come to the Y with us again today. He decided not to. Totally understand that - I think it has to do with the bickering. I get the feeling that my husband and his siblings did not bicker and fight like T and S. George looked appalled more than once when arms starting swinging and feet started kicking.


Dropped the kids off at day camp and had a great workout myself. When I looked at the clock, it was after 11, and I was surprised that over two hours had passed. Since I only had an hour left before I had to pick up the kids, why not go next door to Walmart? I wanted to get the film developed from our trip to the Arch and I needed to order a cake for my father-in-law's retirement next week. George told us about that, we didn't know he was retiring. Hence the cake. With all of that done, I wandered about until time to get the kids. I was in Walmart less than an hour and I promise you the heat and humidity outside doubled in that short amount of time. Yuck.


Picked up the kids, went home, and wasted time until we took T to get his stitches out at 1:30. That little story deserves a blog entry all it's own. How a kid who smashes his face on the stairs in our living room and shrugs it off once the bleeding stops and tells me flat out he's going to continue the exact behavior that caused the smashing of the face 'because it's fun' could throw such a massive hissy fit over getting stitches out is beyond me. Not that I'm not sympathetic to the possibility of pain, but when T had to have his finger actually put back together in 2008, one of the stitches that had to be removed was through his fingernail. He didn't even flinch. So all the caterwauling today? Seemed a smidge dramatic. Nothing like making a lasting impression with the medical staff on base. Sigh.

Once the stitches were out and T had calmed down enough to be out in public again, we went to pick up the film. Seeing the pictures helped take his mind off his stitch removal tragedy. So we went by and got some ice cream, because what's better when it's hot than ice cream? Nothing, that's what. A few other small errands and we were done. Yay! We were done!

But George? Had spent his entire day at our house and I think had some cabin fever. My babysitter had agreed to come and watch the kids that afternoon, but she had some personal appointments and wasn't sure when she would be finished. George and I were going to take the brewery tour in St. Louis, but the tours ended at 5. By the time the kids and I got back home again, it was almost 3, and Alicia wasn't going to be done in time for George and I to get to the brewery before it closed. I didn't want to head in to St. Louis any later than that because of a combination of rush hour traffic and a Cardinals game that evening. Also, did I mention that it was hot? So hot it was hard to breathe outside. I suggested that when R got home that he and G go do something. George had kinda been stuck with the kids and I for a couple days and I wanted he and R to have some hang out time too. And that's what they did. And I think everyone was happy at the end of the day.

No comments: