Friday, June 11, 2010

What a difference an L makes

A couple of weeks ago, S and I dropped T off at school and went to the book fair in the library. My thought was that I could see about picking up several different books to have as impromptu gifts should we ever get invited to a birthday party or something, since it was buy one, get one half off.

I tell S she can pick out any one book for herself. She chooses - of course - a Disney book with princess stories. It really is more for older kids, but it came with a clock (designed like the one in Beauty and the Beast) so you could make sure and get your 20 minutes in of daily recommended reading. It also came with 4 princess bookmarks. Okay fine..how much? No price on the book that I can see. Well, all the books I'd been looking at were 3-6 bucks, so I figure about 10 for the neato princess book with clock and bookmark.

We go to the register and the book is $24.99. Are you KIDDING me? So I try really hard to get S to choose another book instead. Not happening. I bend down and try to explain really quietly that this was more than I wanted to pay and that I didn't realize how much it costs and I don't have that much money with me. "That's okay" chirps the lady at the register "we take credit and debit cards too."Oh shut up, wench!

So S is screaming and crying and I'm pointing out about a million other books, all of which aren't good enough. Did I mention yet that this was in the school library and that school had begun at this point? So her screaming was bound to be disurbing all kinds of classes.

Oh my God.

So I say, "I'm sorry, honey, but we can't afford it." And this is what she screams, "NO NOOOO I want my cock! I want my cock!!!! I want my pretty princess cock! OOOOOHHHHH! My cock! MY COCK!!!!"I couldn't even look the lady at the register in the face as I pull out my debit card and pay for the cock book. And then I pick her up and sprint down the hall out of the school as she says, "Look at my cock" to everyone she sees.

This is SO going in her baby book. And the 'cock'? Already freaking broken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! yes, this made my day.

To go along with your story, I didn't think of how toddlers pronounce things when I named my son Fox. Yeah.