Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday drives

We were out the door this morning by 8:30. I just could not wrap my mind around the packing and prep work. So, if we have forgotten something, we can just buy it or do without, right? Right!

Of course, I realized an hour into the trip that I forgot the baby shower gift for my brother and his wife. Guess I'll be mailing it later, because we weren't going back for it.


When the kids and I made this trip a couple weeks ago, it was easier somehow. Of course, they had gotten nice and tired at the Y beforehand. This trip? S kept saying she had to go potty when she didn't, and while I'd much rather err on the side of caution, stopping every 50 miles got old pretty quick. At one point? We just pulled off the highway and onto a side road and I tried to get her to squat and pee. That didn't go well, so I'm glad she didn't actually have to pee. Then? I tried to get her to pee in a small bucket I'd tossed in the car - just in case. She sat on the bucket, still didn't pee. I'd love to know what the car that drove by us slowly thought about that. heh.

However, it was nice to be able to split the driving with R. When we finally got to the hotel, it was nice not to be drop dead exhausted. Especially since the kids didn't want to go to sleep right away after being in the car all day. But some of the drivers out there? Are insane!!! We got behind a guy in a rusty old truck that was going slower than the slow lane people but was in the fast lane. Grrrrr. He finally moves over, we go to pass him, and he speeds up. Grrrrrr. We pass him, a few minutes later, he shoots past us, and then slows down. Seriously rusty dude? Seriously?!?!

We pulled over in West Virginia so that S could try to pee again (why she didn't do this on our first trip down, I have no idea, but I'm grateful), we were in front of a guy who must have been having a really bad day or was in a huge hurry, because he zoomed past us only to cut in front of us and slam on his brakes at a red light. I must have had 'a look' on my face because R said, "Remember that people here carry guns." Umm...okay. And also? What?!?!

Then, as we were heading through West Virginia and Virginia to NC, we had a discussion about the signs that informed us that speed was checked by AIRCRAFT. Why the sign makers felt the need to put AIRCRAFT in ALL CAPS is a mystery to me. I wonder how they give the tickets? Tiny little parachutes that drop the ticket onto your car? A super powerful camera takes a shot of your license plate? Police officers hanging out by the side of the road waiting to pounce on drivers the aircraft determines are speeding? I need to know.

At any rate, we made it through the speed checked by AIRCRAFT zone safely, probably because we weren't speeding, and arrived in NC about half an hour later than we planned. But considering how often we stopped *coughthanksalotmissScough*, we made good time. Even so? I'm glad we aren't driving home tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgetting the gift is classic. I do it all the time! When is your sister in law due?

You guys are just all about the driving vacations these past couple weeks. I wish I had an answer for aircraft checking but I don't. I always wonder what they are going to do, like land on the highway if I speed? Do they drop a little policeman in a parachute?

Brooke said...

Honestly? I don't know what my issue is lately with all the forgetting of things. It's annoying.

My sister in law is due mid August. I can't wait to meet baby Memphis!

Exactly! R used to be Army Airboure, and that would be the most awesome side job for him ever - parachuting out of a plane to deliver a speeding ticket. He's be encased in bliss.