Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm in trouble. Big, ballsy trouble!

Why do I DO this to myself? I was poking around reading other blogs this weekend and I came across a recipe for cake balls. What's a cake ball? It's cake crumbled to bits, mixed with frosting, chilled, shaped into balls, coated in either fondant or melted chocolate, and often further decorated with drizzled chocolate, sprinkles or something similar. The blog I found this on calls them Cake Truffles, which I agree is a much better name. Cake balls were apparently featured on an episode of Martha Stewart's show. You'd think she'd have come up with a better name. Sheesh!

When I Googled 'cake balls' there's actually a company out there called The Cake Ball Company. http://www.cakeballs.com/ They charge $16 for six cake balls. ZOMG! Seriously? Betty Crocker and I can make a batch for way less than that.

So guess what T and I did today? Yep. We made some cake balls. One commenter mentioned that she pressed the mixture in a cake pan and cut them into squares. This seemed like a less messy option for me, (and less messy is always my preferred path) so I decided to try it that way. I guess I was making cake ball bars.

Batch 1 - devils food cake mix, cream cheese frosting coated in dark and milk chocolate and drizzled with white cookie icing. Some of them got sprinkles too. I started off with small squares and quickly realized I wasn't going to have enough hard chocolate coating. Hmmm....so I made big squares and still ran out of coating. This is obviously going to be a trial and error process. The kids and R loved them. I tried the mixture before we coated them and oh. my. goodness. Fat and sugar heaven. I made R take the rest to work today.


DAY 2

Batch number 2 - the bars didn't impress me, so we did balls. Yellow cake mix, milk chocolate frosting, dipped in a fudge coating and drizzled with white cookie icing. The fudge coating I adapted from an icing recipe my mom uses. It makes more icing than the little cups of chocolate pieces I used yesterday (this also means it's cheaper), it's cooked on the stove so it will be easier to keep it from hardening so fast, and I can control how sweet it is. We are taking these with us to Samantha's for our playdate today. I totally don't want 'em in the house.


Have any of you ever heard of these? Tried them? Have trick to making them or a recipe you'd like to share? I want to try the red velvet and carrot cake ones next. Yummmmm.

3 comments:

Annie Pennington said...

I've never heard of them but they look and sound amazing!! I'll have to try them myself sometime!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. My mouth is watering.... I have a cake cookie recipe - poison .... pure poison. Hugs! from Chris

Sadie said...

First, balls are always a better choice. In everything.

Second, wow, those look awesome!