Saturday, April 10, 2010

I can't believe I did it, but I took the kids to Hooters

One of the nights that Grammy graciously babysat for us so that we could have some time alone, R and I went to dinner at Hooters and then to a movie. Seems like an odd choice for date night, right? But R and I both love wings, and that's something we didn't get often in Germany. We also saw the Hooter's episode of Undercover Boss and that made us both want Hooter's wings. So, that's how we ended up there. He got boneless wings, I got a salad and filched a couple of his wings. But it was a darn good salad, and I've been thinking about it ever since.

I can't see suggesting to my Mom that we all eat at Hooters, and even though we saw lots of families there when we were there, I never really thought about taking the kids there to eat. Both T and S notice things and then vocalize them, and all I need to hear at a Hooters dinner is "Mom, how come those girls aren't jiggly like you?" from T or "See my Mommy? Her belly is big" from S. Even if I am eating a salad.

After Mom and Richard left, R and I decided we'd just place a to go order and bring the food home to eat. It's the best of both worlds. Only he ended up having to work late so I needed to go and pick up the food. Of course the kids were with me. So we pull up and park and walk into the restaurant. I'm still in my workout gear from earlier and the kids are each toting a toy. We go to the bar to pick up our order and I'm a little concerned about how the kids are going to react and behave, but they were just looking for a flat surface to run their toys on. S manages to tilt a display of lite beer, but luckily I fixed it before anyone noticed and very luckily she leaned it toward the bar which supported it rather than away from the bar which would have meant we'd have bought a lot of beer with our to go order. That would have been fun to explain to R. Yes, hon, our dinner was $30, but the kids broke about $80 worth of beer bottles, and no, they wouldn't let me drink or bring home the leftovers. Crisis averted, we took our food and headed out, the kids waving and (in the case of T) flirting their way out the door.

And my salad? was fabulous!

No comments: