Sunday, October 16, 2011

When the heck did this happen?!?

Right before we left Germany, we were lucky enough to book a session with Annie Pennington, photographer. She's an AF wife and mom, phenomenally talented, super nice, gorgeous inside and out, and just an all around great gal. My experience with professional photography until Annie consisted of studios such as Olan Mills, JC Penney, Sears, and Portrait Innovations...all of which delivered good pictures. Robert and I hired a photographer for our wedding, but I had to have a private investigator track him down to get my already paid for wedding pictures, so I don't like to think about that too much.

Annie shot us outside, just down the street from where we lived. The pictures on my banner? Annie Pennington. My favorite pictures of the kids of all time? Taken by Annie Pennington.

So I was beyond excited when not too long after we moved back to the States, Annie and her family moved back to Oklahoma. Our very own G Bob and G Sandy live in Oklahoma, so the idea was in my head that maybe one day we could do another session with her. Also in my head was that I would love to get more into photography 'one day' too.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. There I was, in Gatlinburg, innocently having dinner. I pulled my digital camera out of my purse to show Chris some pictures of the kids. A few minutes later, I pulled it out again to take a picture and (insert doom music here) the lens would not extend. No lens, no pictures. The camera wouldn't even let me review the existing pictures on the SD card because of a 'lens error'. I know what 'lens error' means. It means buy another camera.

So I started doing some research. I really wanted a more professional camera. Nothing hugely expensive because who wants to spend two grand on a camera and find out they are completely talent-less? Not this girl! No, sir! I talked it over with Robert after trying really, really hard to use his camera without getting frustrated. His camera didn't have hardly any of the features that my most recently expired camera had. It was kind of like having to start riding a bike everywhere after being used to driving everywhere - a hard step back to take.

This weekend, we went and looked at cameras and I ended up with a Cannon Rebel. Best Buy offered a decent package that included an extra lens, extra battery, and a camera bag. I also have two weeks to decide if I would like to keep it and I can spread the payments out over 18 months with no interest. I had already checked out a couple photography books so that a) I could know what I was actually looking at and  b) I'd have a better idea how to hopefully take good pictures.

Three clicks of the shutter after I got the camera out of the box and assembled, and I was in photographic love.

So today, we all went to the park and I took a ton of pictures - most of which got deleted, but I am learning. Some of them turned out okay. But now I have to figure out how to self edit the pictures, and then I  have to figure out how (or maybe more accurately where) to get the pictures printed.

From our session with Annie, I remembered she listed the printing company she uses on the CD packaging. Only problem with that is that I'm not sure where the CD is. Um...oops. No matter, I thought. I can just go to her website. Only problem with that is that her website no longer exists. I found her old site, but the link on it links to a site that only has her name and a short article on wedding photography. Oh. No. That's okay...we're FB friends, so I go to her info page. No mention of her photography business, which used to be listed there.  I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit heart broken. I mean, I'm sure that if she isn't doing sessions right now, it's the best for her and her family (which I totally **sob** understand), but it's a bummer.

But what doesn't kill you and blah, blah...so I'm going to try and figure it out on my own. And then I'll take a photography course or seven and actually learn some skills.  But, here are my two favorite pictures I took today...

I love my family!


I love this picture because it perfectly represents the kids relationship right now. T is trying to accomplish something and S is off in lala land blocking him and not even aware (or concerned) the she's the cause of his frustration. 

No comments: