Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dogged

I'm warning you now, this post is going to be about cake.

Okay!

Let's talk red velvet cake. I've been playing around with a recipe for about two weeks now. Since I kind of stink at icing cakes, I tried baking the batter as cupcakes and in a pound cake pan. The pound cake pan was a good idea in theory, but the cake turned out too heavy or something. Cupcakes worked much better - they baked more evenly, somehow had a better flavor, were easier overall to manage. Plus, they were done in 20 minutes.

And Oh. My. Goodness. The cream cheese icing? Turned out beautifully every single time. I may be a lifetime convert.

Batch one: cupcakes. They were excellent except for the fact that I didn't have enough red food coloring and they turned out more of a reddish purple than a deep red. That did not deter us in the least from eating them.

Batch two: make in a pound cake pan. It looked so pretty, but the texture was a bit tough (I think I over beat the batter a bit) and the flavor was a little bland.

Batch three: cupcakes. I got distracted while they were baking, so half of them were a bit too done which seems to make them taste kind of bland. I also tried making blue cream cheese icing since I was going for Super Mario Bros. colors. The icing was way too pale blue (if just as yummy) which made the cupcakes look like sunburned smurfs. I gave most of them away and then (and this will appall my mother) even threw some of them away.

Batch four: cupcakes. Last chance before the party. Friday night at 10 pm I start the process. The wet ingredients looked like some sort of modern art painting.


Somehow I managed to get this batch the right shade of red and the right amount of done. This is what they looked like:



They were pretty doggone good, but I gotta say, I think I'm done with red velvet for a while.

No comments: