Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bummer, man.

I know that over the last year or so especially I've talked a lot about friendships and such. While I find people endlessly fascinating, often they leave me scratching my head and wondering what in the heck....

Tonight is one of those times and I'm choosing my blog to vent about it because a) I can and b) it might save me from making an ass out of myself.

In a nutshell, here's the story: I wanted to throw a surprise party for a friend of mine for her birthday. Lately, she's seemed a little down and I wanted to do something really nice. After checking with her hubby about a month ago to make sure that he didn't already have something planned, I started trying to set this little shindig up.

The guest list was a bit short.She works and I don't, so I don't really know her other friends very well. I know she tends to keep work separate from her private life, which makes that list even shorter.  Fair enough. I invited everyone I could think of or find on her Facebook page.  Out of the invitees, two were going to be out of town, two accepted, and two weren't sure.

Tonight I find out that only one other person is coming. I am so disappointed. I tried really hard to put this together and I feel like I have totally failed.

And what do you even say in a situation like this anyway? Sorry, friend. I invited others but no one showed?

Okay, wait.

I'm upset and being a little unfair. I understand that life gets crazy. I get it, I do. But come on. If you've known the plans for several weeks and have said you were coming, what's the deal with bailing three days prior?

I just feel terrible for my friend.

No comments: