Saturday, March 19, 2011

All about Jesus

R is not exactly a religious man. It's a long story, and one that he's only shared parts of with me.

I grew up going to church. A very different childhood than my husband, but I have my own issues with religion. Also a long story.

The differences of/about/regarding religion never mattered too much to me because I loved the whole man - as is - strengths, weaknesses, and all.

We agreed before we even had kids that they would be exposed to religion (more than one faith) and they could choose the religion they liked best - or none at all - once they were older.

Time went by, we had kids, and we'd talk every now and then about finding a church and going with the kids. We tried the base chapel in Germany a few times, but T was too young for childcare program and he didn't do well in the church service. So we decided to wait a bit and try again.

The kids and I were just starting to get back into church related activities when we PCS'd back here. For a little while last year, the kids went to an Awanas program, but it ran kinda late on Sunday nights and it was about 30 minutes away from where we lived, so we stopped going after a little while. I decided to find a closer Awanas program closer to us after the summer break. I didn't do such a great job of that.

Here and there, I'd try a church service. Sometimes the kids would go, sometimes they wouldn't.

The preschool S attends is through a church. The base has started an Awanas program, and we've been going. I sent them to a weekly bible study for kids in the housing community center. R and I are taking a Love and Logic parenting class at a local church, and the kids go to the Kids Club there while we attend class.

So basically, the kids are starting to learn about God, Jesus, the bible, and faith, but they have been sort of bombarded in the last month.

Today, I'm taking T to a birthday party and we pass a pretty big Baptist church.

T: Look at that school!
Me: That's a church, honey.
T: A church?
Me: Yes.
T: Like where Jesus lives?
Me: Uh huh.
T: Man! It's all about Jesus. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
Me: (trying really hard not to giggle) What do you mean?
T: I mean that it's all about Jesus. He gets everything.
Me: How do you figure?
T: Well how many houses does a dead guy need if he lives with God anyway?
Me: That's a really good question, T.
T: It is?
Me: It is.
T: That just means you don't have the answer.

I think T may have had a bit too much Jesus exposure all at once.

No comments: