Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Workout Wednesday

Last weekend, I bought Bob Harper's Yoga for Warriors.

Oh boy.

Does it count as exercise if you watch it and your heart pounds in fear? I mean, a raised heart rate is a raised heart rate, right?

I kid, it wasn't that bad. The 15 minute ab workout looks challenging but completable. The yoga just looks hard. I really want to be able to try the both the yoga and the ab workout today. I worked out every day last week too, and I'm liking this momentum. Between jumping rope, going back to Zumba as often as I can, and trying to really push myself on the elliptical, I can tell a difference in my cardio fitness. Finally! Seems like it's taken forever.

The worst of the soreness seems to be over and I'm back in the weight lifting groove too. I hope that by throwing in some 'warrior yoga' to improve my flexibility that I'll see positive results in other areas as well. And it would be great if yoga would help my back, because it has really been bothering me lately.

After jumping rope and two zumba classes last week, I ended up at a running shoe store yesterday for new athletic shoes. Foot. Pain. When R was having pain while running in South Dakota, someone he worked with recommended going to a running store for a proper gait analysis. I figured that since I'm starting to do more high impact exercise, it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get a proper shoe too.

I left with another pair of Asics and a strap that fits around my foot to help my arches, which apparently are in need of serious helping. I kind of knew that because my feet are pretty flat and sometimes the built in arch supports make my feet ache. The owner also said that it will help with the heel pain - as long as I keep the amount of time I go barefoot to a minimum. Since I only wear shoes when I have to, that's going to take some getting used to. I'm under the impression that a properly supported and shod (shoe'd?) foot will help eliminate most of my back pain and honestly, it's worth a shot.

Although I do wonder what the caveman did when their feet hurt since they didn't have shoes. Of course, they weren't schlepping around on concrete and fighting a weight problem, either.

2 comments:

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

I am one of your lurkers.

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. I love this book. It is not only extremely motivating the push yourself when you workout, but it is facinating and entertaining. You will definitely learn something.

Sorry, just you writing about your feet made me think about it. Love your blog BTW.

Brooke said...

thank you for the recommendation! I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my inbox, and that sounds like a great way to spend it. ;)

Glad you're lurking here!