Monday, January 17, 2011

Confectionary Redemption

R's birthday is tomorrow. Despite my last attempt at cake making and frosting (which you can read about here), R was brave enough to ask me to make him a cake.

Normally I make him this fabulous buttermilk chocolate cake with a hard fudge icing - similar to ganache - but this year he wanted yellow cake with chocolate buttercream icing. The kids voted for cupcakes when I talked to them about it, so I decided to be inventive. I had some boxed cake mixes in the pantry and had decided to use those after looking for a good yellow cake recipe online. My search for chocolate cake recipes online resulted in some...interesting....results. Boiling over cakes, smoke alarm triggering, burned cake smells that linger for weeks...good times.

But today the cake gods were smiling. The kids and I decided on on a combination of chocolate and yellow cake and used the extra batter for cupcakes. The ordeals I've had in finding good cake recipes is only overshadowed by my inability to create decent icing. But today I found a recipe that turned out amazingly. And here's the proof -



No comments: