Friday, January 14, 2011

What do the Beatles and Eminem have in common? S loves their music.

Yesterday, I got a gift from the gods. S and I both took a nap. I have no idea why I'm so tired this week, I think because all last week I was just really busy or made sure I did something to busy myself and this week I haven't put as much effort into it. R's brother is here for a short visit, and while he's no trouble, when there is someone else in your house it just changes the chemistry. The kids love him, and he's soooo good with them, but I don't want him to feel like when he visits that I sic the kids on him and then go do my own thing. So yesterday, when he went to lie down, I somehow talked S into same thing (probably because Uncle G was doing it). To my great surprise, S took a pretty significant nap. I had to wake her up after T came home from school.

And when S takes a nap, no matter how wonderful it is for me at the time, there is always payback. Yesterday, it was that she was in no way tired enough to go to bed. I was planning to go to the late Zumba class, so I just took her with me. Somehow, S translated that into 'special outing with Mommy' versus 'I need to be worn out because I took a three hour nap'. Hey, works for me!

As we were on our way to the Y, she wanted to hear the Beatles' song "Yesterday", which she refers to as "all my troubles seemed so far away song". I didn't have my iPod with me, so we sang it about six times in a row. On the way home, she wanted to listen to Eminem (it's edited!). I love that S is developing a wide range of likes in music. I love that she loves to dance.  What I'm not thrilled about is how loud she wants the music. Last night I cranked it up since we weren't on base or in housing or near a residential neighborhood. The car was vibrating and she was demanding that I turn it up "louder! LOUDER!" My teeth were starting to rattle and she was not pleased that we had to turn it down.

I really was beginning to wonder if she can't hear all that well, and I dread the day she gets an iPod and cranks it up all the way with the ear buds in her ears. But as I turn the music down as we get ready to turn into our housing area, she tells me she likes the music so loud because it makes things in the car 'wiggle'. I guess it's good to know that we are risking permanent hearing loss so that the base can make the toys and whatnot in the car shake for her amusement. How on earth does music that loud not give her a headache? ::Gasp!:: I just channeled my grandparents as I blared Duran Duran at top volume at their house. Payback is a pain, people. A pain! And there is always payback.

2 comments:

JLK said...

That's a pretty awesome kid you have there, I have to say. ;)

Brooke said...

Thanks! I think she's pretty awesome, even on the bad days. LOL!