Friday, January 14, 2011

Shown up. By five year olds.

I've been meaning to do some volunteer work pretty much since we moved here. I wanted to get settled in first, and we've been here a year, which should be enough time, right?

Long story short, I volunteered and nominated R to volunteer with me to coach a session of basketball at the Y. Wednesday night was our first practice.

ahem.

My mom is a sports nut. She is crazy about Wake Forest and rarely misses a basketball or football game. Now that she's married, she also watches a lot of baseball and, I think, hockey.  It's been a constant source of frustration for her that I wrinkle up my nose and roll my eyes at the word "game" for decades. But of all the sports I have watched or participated in, basketball is easily my choice to become involved in.

I volunteered for the 5-6 year olds because I figured my lack of sports knowledge would be less obvious with that age group.

ahem.

These kids know more than I do. At 5. And while I didn't completely embarrass myself, it wasn't a moment of utter glory either. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?

ahem.

But I have to say that I had a blast, and the parents were really understanding about R and I being new at this. I can't wait to see what happens on Saturday - which should be our first game. I haven't gotten a schedule yet, though. So tomorrow I have to make sure I know what's what and let all my parents know.

Should be an interesting seven weeks.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Stopping by to leave a hug on your lovely blog HUGS!
Katherine

Brooke said...

Thanks, Katherine! So glad you stopped by!