Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sun Crystals

Have you tried this yet? Sun Crystals are a mix of pure cane sugar and stevia. Where a teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories, a teaspoon (or teaspoon equivalent) of Sun Crystals has 5 calories. I saw this in the grocery store, had a coupon, and decided to try it. It's been sitting in the pantry ever since.

So today, I grabbed an unsweetened tea (as a Southerner, I feel the need to specify this because for the most part if you order tea in the South, you usually get sweetened) but I was in the mood for something sweet, so I thought I'd try the Sun Crystals in it. All the yum, none of the guilt, right? Uh, no.

While it doesn't have the same aftertaste as Sweet n low, it has that saccharin essence about it, which is odd because there isn't anything artificial in there. There was no aftertaste to speak of, so I decided I'd try it in the tea. Since I sampled it straight out of the package, I thought maybe it was just a little too strong that way. Into the tea it went. I stirred well, sampled, and even though I could taste a hit of that unpleasantness, it wasn't bad and the tea tasted sweet. Okay, I thought, maybe it just takes a little getting used to. Like coffee or brussel sprouts or sushi.

S and I were busy painting her newest masterpiece, so the tea sat there for oh, about half an hour or so. I grabbed the cup, took a big swig, and EWWWWW. That was nasty. This time there was a during taste and an aftertaste, and both of them were awful! It tasted like the Paperwhites smell to me. Yuck-o! I don't know if it was the mix of tea and Sun Crystals that created that horrible experience or if it's just the Sun Crystals once they dissolve better. Either way, I'm not using any more of it. If anyone out there likes it and would like me to send you MY box, please feel free to comment to this post with your email address. I won't publish your email, but I will send you the Sun Crystals. Gladly.

No comments: